Menu

Rod and Staff vs. Hake Grammar

Hi there, I currently after-school my 6th grade DD (11) in math and grammar. Next year, we're moving to full-time homeschooling. I've been doing Rod and Staff 5 with her, and like it and she's learning, but we're not religious and the content can be a bit distracting for her. I'm wondering if we switched to Hake Grammar, could we pick up in 7th grade since it's a spiral program, or if we'd need to back up since her public school was not particularly strong in that area. Do you think she'd be missing anything? Do you think the program's as strong? Thank you for your thoughts. :)

I have only done FLL and now R&S. I have never done Hake so I can't compare. But, when I was talking to a friend who does use Hake she was pretty certain any kid with a strong grammar foundation could jump in at grade level. I was worried we wouldn't like R&S for just the reason you are expressing. I didn't want to do a year of R&S and then have a difficult time transitioning into Hake. She assured me that it would be fine.

The only reason I didn't go with Hake is that it stops in 8th grade. I didn't want to have to find yet another grammar program for high school.