Menu

Thinking Through Grammar

That looks like a really interesting approach. I liked the looks of the samples. Nice layout, concepts seemed logically presented, etc.

I think dd12 could handle the Freshman book, though I'd love to see the 5th-6th book. I don't see anything for 7th-8th, do you?

Oddly enough, I couldn't find *anything* on google referring to these books except books for sale. And a FS post here...

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17344

Let us know if you learn more about it. How did you hear about these books?

I found out about this program through a homeschool magazine I received free at the South Carolina Homeschool Educators Convention last week. There was an ad in the magazine, so I checked it out. I also didn't see any 7th to 8th grade books. I would probably start my 8th grader with the freshman book, too. The only thing I wonder is how to get the answer key. I see on the school order forms that they sell teacher's manuals, but I'm not sure if a homeschooler is allowed to buy them. I probably can do without a TM, but they are nice to have.

Jan

I found out about this program through a homeschool magazine I received free at the South Carolina Homeschool Educators Convention last week. There was an ad in the magazine, so I checked it out. I also didn't see any 7th to 8th grade books. I would probably start my 8th grader with the freshman book, too. The only thing I wonder is how to get the answer key. I see on the school order forms that they sell teacher's manuals, but I'm not sure if a homeschooler is allowed to buy them. I probably can do without a TM, but they are nice to have.

Jan

If they're advertising in a hs magazine, they're probably open to selling TMs. It's probably worth a phone call or email.

This looks great! I have emailed them to find out about getting the Answer Key.

With 78 Chapters, that would come out to about 3 lessons/week, right?

At 3 lessons a week, a student would finish in 16-17 weeks. At 2 lessons per week, 39 weeks. If you're trying to fit the lessons into a 36-week school year, your student needs to complete 3 lessons a week 6x during a 36-week school year.

You could schedule as follows:

2 lessons per week for weeks 1-10

3 lessons during weeks 11, 12, & 13

2 lessons per week for weeks 14- 23

3 lessons weeks 24, 25 & 26

2 lessons per week through end of text during weeks 27-36

I like how simply it's written. That part seems perfect for my son (I'm starting early trying to figure out 9th grade). I would just like to see an exercise book to accompany it so the student is practicing what he's learned previously a couple days per week also.

I'm just wondering if it's ENOUGH. A handful of problems just makes me wonder. Most students need a bit of practice and some need A LOT. And regular review problems seems like a good idea too.

Ty is a bright kid but he does seem to need 1-3 days to fully get something even if he gets all the practice problems right the first day. He also seems to lose concepts if he doesn't get enough review at regular intervals.

Maybe there is another book that would go great with it (though I hate the thought of two curriculums). Maybe there is a similar curriculum with more practice?

Maybe there is another book that would go great with it (though I hate the thought of two curriculums). Maybe there is a similar curriculum with more practice?

There's another English curriculum that I've had my eye on. It doesn't use the same theory as the one we're discussing in this post, but it probably does need supplemented since it's also very gentle. I'm referring to English 2600 or 3200. I have an old copy of 2600 and it's also a really unique way of teaching English. Here's info from my files:

ENGLISH 2200, ENGLISH 2600, and ENGLISH 3200 are the original programmed courses in grammar, usage, sentence-building, capitalization, and punctuation.

English 2600

English 2600 with Writing Applications: A Programmed Course in Grammar and Usage (College Series) (Paperback)

by Joseph C. Blumenthal

I have used an older version of this book for years. It takes a subject and explains it in the most simple form, and gradually moves to a more advanced level so that the reader fully comprehends the subject matter. The format for the book is unique from any other book that I have used. This is without a doubt the best book that I have ever used for students who need English, grammar, and sentence structure starting at the basic level.

--

Blumenthal's English 2000, 2600, and 3200 series are comprehsive and fast paced. My high school english students actually enjoy studying grammar using these books. All three texts give the student a thorough, practical knowledge of English usage and grammar.

--

Complicated textbook to follow page by page. Yet, a terrific book when it comes to learning the fundamentals of english.

I found out about this program through a homeschool magazine I received free at the South Carolina Homeschool Educators Convention last week.

I found my magazine, and it was the premiere issue of Aim Homeschool. After reading the article, "Where to Begin Teaching the Complexities of Grammar", I cruised the web until I found samples of the Thinking Through Grammar curriculum. It looks like this might work with my dyslexic dd. I've sent an e-mail inquiring about their teacher's manuals.

Jan P.

Here's the answer I got from them re: teacher's manuals:

The teacher’s manuals are $50, but we can provide a pdf copy on disk for $10. Either way you must call in the order to get the teacher’s manual. Thank you for your interest.

I'm calling them tomorrow for the pdf version!