Menu

Need help with son's math what would you do next?

raindames

My son was having difficulty with Pre-Algebra (he's currently in the 8th grade) so I tested his general knowledge and found he was lacking in some of the basics (i.e. decimals, fractions & percents). We decided to test him with CLE and he was placed back to 500. He has finished this and knows the material well. Now what? He will be in 9th grade this Sept. I need to move him along quickly. Should I race him through the rest of CLE 600-800 or put him in Teaching Textbooks pre-algebra again/ other ideas?

Thanks so much.

Many students who need remediation needs a SLOWER pace through the curriculum NOT a compacted one, or a faster one. Not all students learn math at the same pace. It's better to move slow and steady, and make REAL progress, than to keep faking it with attempts to have a student working out of age matched material.

Start where his ability is, work steadily, and accept where he is at. If you are planning on junior college, most applicants show up having to start at basic math, because they were pushed forward, instead of remediated, during their highschool years. If your son can start Algebra 1 at 18 he will be a course ahead of the average student. If he has covered some algebra, he'll be able to take "College Algebra" and receive full credit for it and probably be done with math, depending on his major.

My oldest showed up at the junior college only having MASTERED basic maths. The dean was completely confused because he had never seen a student score almost perfectly in basic math, but know almost no algebra at all. My slick son managed to find a loophole and spent more time weaseling out of taking math, than if he had just taken the class. He graduated just taking accounting. To this day he has never finished an algebra 1 class :-( BUT...he pays more in taxes than his father and I make combined so... :-0

My youngest was about 5 years accelerated in math. He showed up at the junior college underage and with all sorts of skills he didn't even have the opportunity to use, never mind build on. All that pushing did what?

Don't panic. It will all work out, if you just admit reality, and set a steady realistic pace.

Thank you both for your replies. Hunter- it has been nice to have my son really understand the math concepts for once, I understand what you are saying. But he is very bright in other areas with dreams of going to a good college which means the SAT would be an important factor. Hmmmm.......

Thank you both for your replies. Hunter- it has been nice to have my son really understand the math concepts for once, I understand what you are saying. But he is very bright in other areas with dreams of going to a good college which means the SAT would be an important factor. Hmmmm.......

If he is not scared and worried, then don't you get worried about 4 year colleges. That was something I learned the hard way. When my boys wanted something badly enough, they made much faster progress preparing for the goal. When they didn't care, it was impossible to spoon feed 4 year college prep, no matter how bright.

Even if you get them into 4 year college, if they don't want to work hard enough, or can't handle the rigor of preparing, then they won't succeed there. High school is testing ground.

My oldest was VERY driven, but he had his own short cut route that he insisted on taking. And I think he turned out to be right as much as I fought him.

My youngest was VERY bright, but he didn't have the work ethic needed or the desire to complete the volume of work necessary to prepare.

Good luck. But...sometimes how worried and driven we are, has NOTHING to do with our students :-0