Menu

Singapore Intensive Practice experience

brownie

Wow! This is the first time I've had my kids try to plug straight through an IP book. We finished up our regular workbooks so I picked up IP2B and IP5A to keep them busy the rest of the school year. It is intense, in that it is just packed solid with brain grinding problems. It's not like CWP's version of challenging but there's a lot on a page and it is a lot of number crunching.

No complaints yet at our slow pace but I'm surprised. I just set a timer and we go until we're done, but some days that means 1 page gets done in 30 minutes, depending on the topic. Just thought I'd share.

Brownie

Wow! This is the first time I've had my kids try to plug straight through an IP book. We finished up our regular workbooks so I picked up IP2B and IP5A to keep them busy the rest of the school year. It is intense, in that it is just packed solid with brain grinding problems. It's not like CWP's version of challenging but there's a lot on a page and it is a lot of number crunching.

No complaints yet at our slow pace but I'm surprised. I just set a timer and we go until we're done, but some days that means 1 page gets done in 30 minutes, depending on the topic. Just thought I'd share.

Brownie

We started with CWP and more more toward to IP toward the end. the 1st few page IP are pretty easy, 1st half question in word problem section are comparable to CWP, and last half word problem and challenge problem are really really challenge.

DS can work through 8-10 question in 20 mins in CWP but not half of that when he go through IP last part word problems and challenging problem. In 6A/B, I sometimes "have" to skip question because I don't know how to solve those without algebra myself. And don't want my DS to know that :tongue_smilie:...

3 of my kids use the IP workbooks as a math review (on the side). In fact, 2 of those kids use other math programs and they're still fine with the Singapore IP workbooks. They are able to solve the problems in the workbooks.

I LOVE the IP workbooks.

My 10 yro actually struggles more with the CWP workbook than the IP workbook (not sure why).

jennynd - I end up not knowing how to solve problems without algebra ALL THE TIME. I also can't remember big chunks of the math we learned in middle school. I was on YouTube yesterday trying to figure out how to do factor trees. Somewhere in my brain, covered with cobwebs, is a memory of how to find the Prime Factors of a number. That memory is trapped next to a Bon Jovi song, mini-skirts and denim jackets. Lol.

I recently jumped on the IP bandwagon myself. I mostly bought it for my K'er so he could camp in 1A for awhile but I like it. I still prefer CWP if I had to pick one..but I don't :D. My ds8 doesn't like the cluttered pages but I think the timer idea will really work with him. Thanks for the tip!

I mostly bought it for my K'er so he could camp in 1A for awhile but I like it.

Could we talk about 1A for a second? In IP 1A, there is a page of math problems involving a burning apartment building (and obviously, the firefighters are there to rescue the little people in the windows) and one of the little people is screaming with flames behind him...but my daughter probably spent half an hour on that page - talking about it. I was thinking, "Singapore! Come on! Burning apartment buildings?" :D Do I need to flip through the rest of the workbook and make sure there are no 1st grade math problems involving plane crashes?

I'm not complaining, but it was oddly unexpected. :tongue_smilie:

Could we talk about 1A for a second? In IP 1A, there is a page of math problems involving a burning apartment building (and obviously, the firefighters are there to rescue the little people in the windows) and one of the little people is screaming with flames behind him...but my daughter probably spent half an hour on that page - talking about it. I was thinking, "Singapore! Come on! Burning apartment buildings?" :D Do I need to flip through the rest of the workbook and make sure there are no 1st grade math problems involving plane crashes?

We are in 1B and I don't recall seeing anything at all like that in 1B.

That is an odd page! I think I've just come to expect those little oddities from SM so it wasn't that surprising to me. It helps that ds6 falls into the non-sensitive category so he probably thought it was really cool. The weirdest thing to me is that they have them count the number of hurt people.

Ds8 gets caught up in the word problems all the time. I can't count how many times I've said, "Just answer the problem already!" Some of them make him think he doesn't get a big enough allowance. :lol:

That is an odd page! I think I've just come to expect those little oddities from SM so it wasn't that surprising to me.

:tongue_smilie: I need to show that page to my husband. He would think it was funny.

loriesuewho - it's in 1A on page 3.