Menu

Singapore Math experts, a ?? about the HIGs

awisha.

Singapore Math experts I have a question about the HIGs.

Here is Australia we can get the Singapore edition of SM which can be used with the US HIGs. Now I have read here and other places that the US HIGs aren't as good as the Standards HIGs.

Now for my question:

I want to know WHY people say the Standards HIGs CANNOT be used with US SM?? Is it because of the added topics, rearranging of topics etc?? Or something else??

Could you use the Standards HIG by just using the chapters/pages you need for that particular lesson, and completely ignore the Standards added lessons/info etc??

Am I even making sense?? :lol:

I am undecided between using Singapore edition or Standards edition of the maths program because of the choice between the two HIGs.

Please HELP ME!! :001_smile:

We're in Aus, I don't have complete answers for you, but can give you a bit of info.

I would say the US Standards HIG would be hard to use with the SGP or US Curriculum because of the rearranged and added topics, the HIG is supposed to make things simpler for the parent to teach it, not make it more of a drain on your time.

The SGP version is getting quite rare. I have the Pre-K/K 2 yr programme of SGP version, and when I found this out, I decided to purchase the US edition for my daughter for Level 1.

I have the US Edition of the Prek/K Programme that I purchased for my son. I am hoping once hes through that to swap him over to US Standards Edition for Level 1

Now that I pulled back my daughters maths (so she won't start level 1 till next year) I am deciding whether to do US edition (that I already have) for Level 1 for next year, then transfer to US Standards for the year after, or to sell the US lot and purchase the US Standards for Level 1 ROFL.

Basic Summary (in my opinion) of programmes:

SGP: Metric edition.

US Edition: Metric & Imperial.

US Standards: Formatted to fit Californian Standards. Topics re-arranged, some added in.

Based on this, JIMO, I would go for the complete US Standards curriculum.

Are you sure they were talking about the HIG's and not just the programs? The Standards is better, more rigorous and challenging, but the HIGs are just the teacher helpers for the program :confused:

:bigear:

Thanks for the reply Ecclecticmum. I hadn't heard about the trouble finding the SGP edition, I was choosing between SGP and Standards because SGP is metric, uses our spelling and things like that.

But I do love the look of Standards samples I have seen. If other Aussie mums are choosing Standards without problems then maybe it will be okay. Hmmm...