Menu

Hoping someone can compare Chalkdust to AoPS

DS was happily trudging along through Rod and Staff 6 when I first had my first HS math freak out. He finished R&S 6 and I moved him over to Saxon because I didn't want to continue a program that did not offer high level maths. He is doing well using Saxon, with the exception of incremental teaching method. I am often having reword the entire lesson and show him the big picture before he gets it. (We had the same problem with Saxon 5/4, which is why we moved to R&S.) So... again I'm wondering where to go or if we should stick it out with Saxon. I don't really mind teaching son math because it is something I am extremely strong in, but as he gets older we both prefer a slightly more independent way of learning.

We are successfully using BJU distance learning for science, and he seems to like the video teaching, so I'm considering something similar with math. I had planned to start Chalkdust (Generic) in middle school, but it never happened. I still think the program looks really good, but then I came back to the boards and saw AoPS.:drool5:

I was wondering if someone could compare CD to AoPS. (maybe even Saxon with Dive) lol

The one thing I've liked about both Saxon and R&S is they both seemed to have review built in which is something DS seems to need. (not an excess, but the occasional problems from lessons past to keep things fresh)

Sorry for rambling.

I would say that the two are vastly different in their approach. We've used Chalkdust geometry (didn't do well with it - not dss' learning style) and AoPS (various). For us, AoPS was much more engaging. Chalkdust uses a standard textbook - rather like any other public school text. AoPS is a whole 'nuther beast. I don't know how to compare them except to say that the AoPS approaches learning through involving the student in discovering whereas Chalkdust uses a text that we found dry and uninspiring (YMMV, though).

I would suggest getting the texts of both and comparing them. Find out which one fits the learning style of your student. Chalkdust users either really like the dvd instructor or they don't (my boys did not). I don't have any idea how the online courses for AoPS work because we just used the text. But they are very different texts.

Thank you both. I actually have the CD videos available for me to watch for Algebra 1 but don't know anyone IRL that uses AoPS.

I'm not sure how my son would do with a fast paced class or abstract way of teaching. He has ADHD and an ASD, so he tends to do better with just the facts.

Is the AoPS book abstract? Are these challenge problems ones where a child would have to think outside the box, or are they more applying the information they already know to problems? I looked at the video snipets on the website and they seem interesting, but without actually getting a hold of the book I can't make a decision. I certainly would not be able to use their online classes because they air at 0030 in the UK.

CD being a textbook program is not a bad thing. I think I will take a harder look into the videos and maybe have DS sit with me and give me input although he is indifferent about most things.

I have a lot to chew on before making a decision with math. Thankfully I have a few of the other subjects figured out for next year.

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/Store/viewitem.php?item=prealgebra

Look at the link above (if that's your student's level - otherwise just search for the correct level) and see the excerpts section. Go through that to get a feel for how it teaches. There is also a diagnostic test there which will allow you to test for which level he would need.

Chalkdust is taught. AoPS is caught.

AoPS uses a guided discovery approach. If done as printed, the student is supposed to play around with a problem to see if he can figure out how to do it. Then the book walks the child through the solution and an explanation of the mathematics. Then the text offers the child the next discovery-based problem.

Chalkdust offers instruction via the DVD. Then the child works problems. The problems at the beginning of the section are easy. They get harder as the child moves through the set. But the DVD has offered the child nearly everything he needs to successfully work the problems.

Some kids love puzzles: offer me a hint, and then let me figure out the rest. Other kids hate them: tell me what to do, and I'll do it.

Real mathematicians solve problems that no one else has solved. They puzzle their way to solutions. If your kid loves doing puzzles, and you think he might want to be a mathematician, try AoPS.

Regular college students learn to master the techniques of the puzzle solvers who have gone before them. If your kid would rather be doing something other than math, but wants a solid math program so he has the tools to DO those other things, I would lean toward Chalkdust.

(I personally LOVE AoPS. I would have gone bonkers for it when I was a kid. My last math student gets really ticked off when we use it. So we use Chalkdust. But I sneak in some of the end of the AoPS chapter problems and challenge questions; same math just notched up a level in difficulty. Honestly though? This kid is probably going to be a music major, so he doesn't need that last push. In the end, it's really just self-indulgence on my part; it's truly a waste of his time. ;))

For an engineer or science major, Chalkdust is plenty. Solid, solid, solid. Solid for a mathematician too. But if I had a kid who was a possible math major, I would let them feel the thrill of AoPS. It's a very exhilarating way to learn if it's a good fit.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Janice,

When you said, "I personally LOVE AoPS. I would have gone bonkers for it when I was a kid. My last math student gets really ticked off when we use it," that put this entire thing into perspective for me.

I love math. I love problem solving. I look at the small amount I have seen of the program and drool. However, knowing that it has an approach that doesn't hand the information directly to the student and have them plug the information in just won't work for my DS. I fear it would lead to math meltdowns. As much as I want to use AoPS I think I will have to call it a miss for DS sake.