Menu

Help me tweek this History, please.

So we will be moving on from MOH vol.3, there is no vol.4 yet or even soon, so we will likely be shifting to SOTW vol.3 and 4, picking up where MOH left off. I know that SOTW with the AG will be plenty for my dd/ds9 twins...but I need to beef it up for ds12. It seems like somewhere I read the later volumes of SOTW were suitable for older middle schoolers, but would love to hear opinions on that. I do have access to Hakims History of US series too. I guess what I am asking is: Is SOTW w/AG enough for a 7th grader? If not, what do you supplement with? Is there a lesson plan cross reference out there for SOTW and History of US? Thanks for your help, I am really bad at searches on this forum.

The activity guides will map work they could all use (you may want extra copies of the student pages). There are suggested reading lists for every chapter. If you have acces to a good library loan system, there should be plenty of ideas to fill out for a 7th grader.

You could also expect more writing/narration from the older child. The volume 4 guide is different from the other 3 - it has fewer crafty projects and more writing & map work.

The AG will also list the pages of several history encyclopedias (Kingfisher and Usborne are two) that coordinate with each SOTW chapter. You can have your child listen to SOTW and then read the corresponding pages. SWB suggests listing facts from that reading and then doing a mini-research paper (just a page/2 pages) on some interesting aspect (kid chooses).

I also like K12's middle school volumes. I have the 3rd one (it's for 9th grade, but very appropriate, imo, for Jr. Hi) for Moderns; it goes into more detail than SOTW 4 in some areas. I looked at historical fiction and some non-fiction for the 20th cent period, gleaning from VP, WP, SOTW, and Sonlight, and came up with a list. We won't read it all, but all of it is appropriate for 6-7 grade. We'll use SOTW 4 as a supplement--we like the style, but it's a little simple for us.