Menu

planning the literature aspect of 4th and 2nd grades

would someone please help me understand what the role of all the progeny press guides, VP comprehension guides, PP lit study guides, {et al} are in the context of a child's language arts schematic?

how many books/year is really reasonable to *study* intensely in this manner?

is it really necessary if your kids are already avid & advanced readers {both of ours are} and seem to truly grasp everything you read aloud?

how often within a week would a child use the PP/MP/VP guide if he or she is *also* carrying a full LA program of grammar, writing, copywork, and spelling?

we only do real literature here. we read all the time.

is it possible to do something more organic like "teaching the classics" and just discuss together? is there advantage to having a literal study guide to write and record responses to these questions?

{i ask because it all quickly mounts up in price .... and the free ones on the internet are not usually to my liking}

:confused: :bigear:

Have you listened to SWB's lecture "What is Literary Analysis: When, Why and How Should I Teach It?"? It's on the Peace Hill Press website under audio lectures.

I think that lecture will answer your questions. I also listened to her lectures on how to teach writing in the grammar grades and the middle grades. Her approach made sense to me and works really well with my children (who love to read).

I was worried, like you, as to whether I should be doing in depth literary analysis. To make matters worse, I had all those books that you wrote about because my mother is a retired fourth grade teacher so I almost felt obligated to do that sort of literary analysis. After listening to her lecture I realized that I didn't need to keep those books.

I hope this was helpful.

We started using the literature portion of K12 LA in third grade for my oldest (and plan to continue that with his brothers). Up until third grade, for us, the focus was first on learning how to read, then on building fluency and a love of reading. I chose the K12 materials because they systematically teach literary techniques such as similes and metaphors, perspective, genres, foreshadowing, etc.

I have not used PP guides, but I have tried MBtP guides and one of Critical Thinking Company's Novel Thinking guides. The purpose of the guides I have used seems to be to provide vocabulary words and discussion/comprehension questions. Each of the types I used also ended with a writing assignment. The MBtP guides have some random grammar worksheets thrown in as well and fun worksheets and/or activities.