Menu

SOS Foreign Language

* Though I have reviewed many, many, many foreign language programs (I am a linguist and my specialty is foreign language acquisition), I've somehow never gotten my hands on Switched-On-Schoolhouse foreign language. Has anyone written a (preferably detailed) review of it? If you've used it, what are your thoughts? How religious is it (and how easy do you think it would be to secularize it)? Any info would be great. Thanks!

My dd used the 2010 Secondary Spanish edition for only a short time, so I can't give you much of a review. She quit because it was far below her level and the software was a hassle to use.

It was given to me free by someone on this board, and I'd be happy to pass it along to you. It's just sitting here gathering dust.

Well, I am not qualified to give a detailed review to a linguist, but here is a recent thread I started about SOS where some who have used it far longer than I gave helpful info - http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373901

I actually like SOS but have found the need to slow down some in order to retain the massive amounts of vocabulary. There are occasional Scripture verses and learning a foreign language is presented as a means of reaching out to those in other cultures with the Gospel.

Hopefully someone with more insight will share.

HTH

Blessings,

Penny

My dd used the 2010 Secondary Spanish edition for only a short time, so I can't give you much of a review. She quit because it was far below her level and the software was a hassle to use.

It was given to me free by someone on this board, and I'd be happy to pass it along to you. It's just sitting here gathering dust.

Could you please elaborate on the bolded?

Thank you very much for the kind offer but I am not currently looking to use the product. I just wanted to hear a bit about it. But thank you! :001_smile:

Well, I am not qualified to give a detailed review to a linguist, but here is a recent thread I started about SOS where some who have used it far longer than I gave helpful info - http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373901

I actually like SOS but have found the need to slow down some in order to retain the massive amounts of vocabulary. There are occasional Scripture verses and learning a foreign language is presented as a means of reaching out to those in other cultures with the Gospel.

Hopefully someone with more insight will share.

HTH

Blessings,

Penny

Thank you.

I don't want to imply that the program itself is below the level of other programs. From the bit that she did, it looked to be on par with other 1st year programs I have seen. But at the time we tried it, my dd already had one year of formal study, two years of early immersion of about 1.5 hours/day, plus other exposure to Spanish.

Our goal was to use it as reinforcement, but it was not easy software to use.

Edited by Heather in PNW
more info