Menu

MUS: Coloring the blocks in workbooks is how important?

amselby81

We just finished lesson 13 in Primer, and I decided to let her skip coloring the blocks as long as she could write in the numbers and say the problems. She uses the blocks to build the problem, but she seems to hate coloring the blocks in the workbook. She knows what colors correlate with which numbers. Do you think that's the only reason why they are supposed to color them according to their color? And she didn't seem to mind coloring the blocks when we were only on the green blocks or when we started to do place value. Maybe she doesn't like having to keep switch colors? I don't know why she doesn't like it, but it takes her FOREVER to finish a page when she has to color them b/c she daydreams or starts playing with the blocks.

I'm thinking about allowing her to continue without coloring, as long as she can tell me what color each number is. If you've used MUS, what do you think about this? Thanks!

I had one who hated coloring. I wanted her to learn the block colors though, so I preselected the crayons/colored pencils that were necessary and let her draw a line down them in the right color, not color them all the way in.

That's what I have done as well. When we got to the hundreds squares, I get ds to trace the outline only.

We do not color the blocks, think we have done so for one lesson only and maybe even thin only one page? I would make her color them if she did not know what color each number was but she had those memorised before we even started using the program just through playing with the blocks for a few weeks before starting with the books.

We also skip quite a few problems. If she still needs a bit more solidifying on a concept obviously I make her do all the review in that area but if she has it mastered completely we only do review questions in that area sporadically and skip the rest. I love that MUS has a lot of review but if you have the concept completley mastered there really is no need to review it all the time.