Menu

Spell By Color - important updates

jetted4

Since the program is free, I don't have a good way to know who is using it and let them know when updates are available, so I figured I'd try posting a quick note here:

I have recently made updates to Year One of Spell By Color.

If you have been using the program, please visit the web site for more information and to download updated files (which are now available in a zip file as well as individually).

Sorry...the link was in my sig, so I didn't post it in the note itself:

http://jettedgames.com/spelling.htm

I have a visual learner...works well for him. The color-coding might also be considered a kinesthetic piece?

The lessons provide the rules, give opportunity to practice rules by locating rule words within sentences, build over time, and use a workbook format...not sure what type of learner that applies best to.

Besides "typical" kids, I have also heard from someone who uses the program with kids in the autism spectrum...

This was new to me. I like what I see. I downloaded it and printed week 1 and 2. I like the idea of the student being a detective (my dd will *love* that) and finding the words in the sentences that meet the rules. I haven't seen that often in spelling programs....they seem more like writing the words and filling in blanks with the words. This looks interesting. I think my dd would like the color coding too. Did I read somewhere that this was for starting in about 3rd grade? Thank you for making this available for free!

ETA: I don't think the link in your siggy works.

I fixed the sig. Thanks for pointing it out (it had the correct text, but the underlying link was my old one)

Given that there's reading involved (being able to read the sentences and locate the rule words), I put 3rd grade as a starting age. If you have a 2nd grader who is a solid reader, though, it would be fine to start earlier than 3rd.

(can also be used for 4th if you haven't found a rules-based program that worked for your child, yet).

I fixed the sig. Thanks for pointing it out (it had the correct text, but the underlying link was my old one)

Given that there's reading involved (being able to read the sentences and locate the rule words), I put 3rd grade as a starting age. If you have a 2nd grader who is a solid reader, though, it would be fine to start earlier than 3rd.

(can also be used for 4th if you haven't found a rules-based program that worked for your child, yet).

Thank you Andrea.