Menu

Math Woes...Ds12...Need Advice

Ds12 is just finishing Chapter 8 of Math Mammoth 5B. He did the review today in preparation for the test tomorrow...and he got at least something wrong in almost every single question. For example, he didn't remember the formula for the area of a parallelogram (even though we had watched online videos about that in addition to the lesson), he didn't remember what surface area was at all (he answered with the area of a single face instead of all the faces together), he got the area of triangles wrong (despite being able to tell me the formula when I asked him), etc...

I know Math Mammoth is a mastery-type curriculum. Do you think he might benefit more from a spiral-type approach? We had used Saxon many years ago, and I'm thinking of switching back. Or maybe trying something like Teaching Textbooks or Math U See?

Any advice or recommendations?

Always challenging to sort out what is the math curriculum and what is just being 12 and going through all that teen/pre-teen growth. That's the first thing I thought of when I read your post. I'd watch it a while and see if it's an isolated incident or improves with a sandwich or nap.

I agree it could be partially the age... however, sometimes we need to re-teach and re-teach again. And practice, practice, practice.

Two years ago someone encouraged me to back up a couple of levels and re-do some of the earlier skills, b/c we were getting nowhere. I made that switch using earlier levels of MUS. That was SUCH a strong move! Very beneficial. Probably one of the better moves I've made.

Also, if you can get him to teach things to someone else, that usually will cement things in.

Edited by DianeJM