Menu

Sonlight 1 ?

I'm not understanding how this is world history. :confused: (I changed the title twice, I did mean K, changed it when I doubted myself, then changed it back but the main title wasn't changed LOL) The description of what the student learns includes all sorts of world history facts, but when I look at the book list, almost all the books are from more recent American history. I don't have the catalog in front of me, but I feel like it even mentioned cultures that I don't even see represented at ALL in the book list. Am I missing something? :001_huh:

Edited by RaeAnne

For that core and for our family, the biggest part of learning about world cultures came from the calendar. We used it as a jump off point for study. Each month they listed a country and we used the Children just Like Me book (SL does not have this) plus map study to learn about the place and people.

For core B or core 1, the world history comes from the Child's History of the World book.

For that core and for our family, the biggest part of learning about world cultures came from the calendar. We used it as a jump off point for study. Each month they listed a country and we used the Children just Like Me book (SL does not have this) plus map study to learn about the place and people.

I'm hoping to find something that I won't have to add to, that's the thing. I was hoping I was somehow missing something. :tongue_smilie:

The world cultures comes from the Children's Encyclopedia, People and Places, Houses and Homes, Living Long Ago, and I Heard the Good News Today. My ds also learned quite a bit of geography last year because of the mapping activities ties to the literature.

The spine of the program, the Children's Encyclopedia, wasn't my favorite, but the read alouds more than made up for it.

Real history starts in Core B (old Core 1).

I'm not understanding how this is world history. :confused: (I changed the title twice, I did mean K, changed it when I doubted myself, then changed it back but the main title wasn't changed LOL) The description of what the student learns includes all sorts of world history facts, but when I look at the book list, almost all the books are from more recent American history. I don't have the catalog in front of me, but I feel like it even mentioned cultures that I don't even see represented at ALL in the book list. Am I missing something? :001_huh:

We are finishing up Core A (old Core K), the "Intro to World: Cultures" core. I don't feel that the title describes the content of the core at all. It was a half a year overview of world history highlights from the Usborne First Encyclopedia and Living Long Ago. Then, a few weeks of "culture" from the pages of the encyclopedia on things like dance, homes, drama, food, etc. I personally don't feel that the stories from "I Heard Good News Today" count as cultures as it's more about Christian missionaries changing the world than about what the world is like. Oh, I guess that they think the "Wild Places" book counts, but I think that's about physical geography, not cultures (mountains, jungles, deserts).

The world cultures comes from the Children's Encyclopedia, People and Places, Houses and Homes, Living Long Ago, and I Heard the Good News Today. My ds also learned quite a bit of geography last year because of the mapping activities ties to the literature.

The spine of the program, the Children's Encyclopedia, wasn't my favorite, but the read alouds more than made up for it.

Real history starts in Core B (old Core 1).

People and Places and Houses and Homes are in Core B, not Core A.