Menu

Have AAS...do I need AAR?

I partially posted this in another recent thread, but I figured I'd start a new thread with AAR in the title line, since I'd like some more input on that program.

We did a rather haphazard Kindergarten this year (much to my current chagrin). DD --who will be 6 mid-June-- knows most of her letter names and letter sounds. There are a few sounds she confuses (n and m) and some that she takes a few minutes before remembering how to write them, etc (i.e. "How do I write a capital J again? Oh yeah!") She can read some CVC words but is so pain.stak.ing.ly slooooow on them, even words she has read repeatedly. Even after reading "sat" 30 times, it is still "s-----a------t."

We have been attempting OPGTR, but she is bucking it mightily. She is very busy and visual and hands-on. I feel like I could force OPGTR (b/c it looks like a great program) but really, I'm thinking "Why bother if there's something else that she'd enjoy more."

Is AAR1:

• open and go/easy to use
  • structured and sequential
  • engaging with games and fun activities
  • necessary if I have AAS1

Like I said, I have AAS1...could I just use that? DD does NOT enjoy writing and there is more of that in AAS, I believe. We have ETC 1, 1.5, 2, BOB books, Sonlight's FunTales, tons of file folder phonics games.

Does AAR bring anything else to the table? Honestly, at this point, I'd pay the money just to have something scheduled out for me. *I* realize most of the problem is ME (and my inconsistency, lack-of-motivation, hesitation to do a program that isn't currently enjoyable for us).

Thoughts, please? Is AAR worth it? Should we start at Level 1 or go back to Pre-reading level? (I think she'd call that babyish.)

:bigear: Similar situation with a "just turned 6 year old" girl who is SUPER hands on. Switched from OPGTR (which I loved w/ the dudes) to Phonics Pathways which is unscripted, bigger font, has Dewey (she likes this), and some games which are fun.

But....

AAR just looks like a ton of fun, especially for a hands on girl. She seems to really "get it" with phonograms too.

I also have AAS 1 & 2.

All that to say that I am :bigear:.

I started AAR1 with my almost 7 year old a few months ago. We're taking a break for now because we're in testing week, but I think I can help a bit.

you asked....

Is AAR1:

open and go/easy to use- Absolutely, other than maybe cutting out a few things from the workbook. You just open and go.

structured and sequential- Seems to be in my opinion. It follows a scope similar to AAS 1

engaging with games and fun activities- My son has loved the activities in the work book so far, but we also just go the new file folder Ziggy games that was just released I think those full color games will make what's already great even better.

necessary if I have AAS1- 100% necessary,well that would really depend on how confident you are in tweaking AAS. To me it would be a little harder to edit on the fly so using AAR makes things easier for me. If I just used AAS I'd have to keep straight where we were for reading and spelling because most kids move faster in reading than in spelling. So far I haven't started AAS with my son because his motor skills for writing just aren't there and I figured if I held off on it, then it would act as an extra review for spelling.

I hope this helped a little bit. My son absolutely loves AAR and can't wait to do his reading everyday. He's been bummed lately that we've had to do our standardized testing which means AAR is on hold and keeps asking when we'll get to start it again.

Just thought I'd add in that I'll be using AAS this summer to help my dd progress in her reading, but she's 10.5 years old and is delayed due to vision issues that required therapy. She's finally ready to move along with her reading so keeping track of where she is for reading and spelling will be easier as she'll be in two different levels of AAS (she's just about ready for AAS 3 for reading, but is only about halfway through AAS2 for spelling)

Edited by nukeswife

AAR just looks like a ton of fun, especially for a hands on girl. She seems to really "get it" with phonograms too.

Thanks for sharing. Yes, a "ton of fun" is exactly what my girl wants. All.the.time. :001_huh: Apparently OPGTR doesn't hit that fun button...

I started AAR1 with my almost 7 year old a few months ago. ...So far I haven't started AAS with my son because his motor skills for writing just aren't there and I figured if I held off on it, then it would act as an extra review for spelling.

Thank you for all that detail. Also glad to hear that 6 and 7 year olds are doing this program and not finding it too "babyish." My DD also has some writing delays, probably just from lack of consistent practice. Too much writing gets overwhelming and results in grumblings galore.

I'm leaning toward getting it. She'll probably love having the extra games, too.

(*sigh* Just when I thought my CC was safe and I was finished buying curriculum!)

Thanks for sharing. Yes, a "ton of fun" is exactly what my girl wants. All.the.time. :001_huh: Apparently OPGTR doesn't hit that fun button...

Thank you for all that detail. Also glad to hear that 6 and 7 year olds are doing this program and not finding it too "babyish." My DD also has some writing delays, probably just from lack of consistent practice. Too much writing gets overwhelming and results in grumblings galore.

I'm leaning toward getting it. She'll probably love having the extra games, too.

(*sigh* Just when I thought my CC was safe and I was finished buying curriculum!)

Just another thing to remember, All About Learning Press has a 1 year money back guarantee, so if you buy from them and find it's not a good fit or you just don't like it, you can always send it back.

Just another thing to remember, All About Learning Press has a 1 year money back guarantee, so if you buy from them and find it's not a good fit or you just don't like it, you can always send it back.

Hit order and spent the $4 extra bucks to get it quickly. :D

Can't wait!

Is AAR1:

• open and go/easy to use

• structured and sequential

• engaging with games and fun activities

• necessary if I have AAS1

I found myself regularly missing time with my daughter and her daily reading lesson, and AAR has completely solved my problem. It is the epitome of open and go. No copying, no finding materials, no wondering "What do I do next?"

There is a Teacher's Manual that gives step-by-step instructions on what and how to teach the lesson. Need a game? It's in the activity book. Time to work on fluency at the current level? Tear the next page out of the activity book. I usually also pull out random cards from her box to review words. And the readers (though expensive) and beautiful compared to other phonics readers.

It might just be her personality, but my daughter loves the games. She loves putting stars on her chart. I have solved my "forgetting her reading lesson" problem because she hunts me down and reminds me if I forget. And because of our regularity, she has made dramatic progress in the last few months. The only things she might balk at are the long fluency sheets. I usually have her pick out one line, then I pick one, three times each, and then call it a day.

I use AAS with my two olders, and reading is really a whole different animal than spelling. They use the same tiles, but the teaching is completely different. Who cares why you need a 'ck' at the end of the word at this stage? You just have to know it says /k/. For reading instruction I would purchase AAR, and use AAS once she can read well.

Obviously I love the program and will use it for my youngest. I just hope they get the next level out in time!

Best of luck!