Menu

Summer Reading Skills Program - Please anyone with opinions?

Guest lbrain123

Guest lbrain123

I was considering signing my upcoming 9th grader for this program that is offered at alot of different universities nationwide.

http://readingprograms.org/summer-reading-programs/entering-6th-to-8th-graders/

I think he may be dyslexic so I thought maybe to sign him up the 6-8th grade level since the number of books (non -comic books) he's read is hardly any.

It says the 6-8th graders read Banner in the Sky, do speed reading, and comprehension, and literary analysis in 5 week, 2.5 hours a week.

It is alot of money though - $300. Not sure I can justify the cost unless I know it will really work.

Has anyone done this and have opinions to share? Does it really work and does the student continue to do well after the course, using the techniques learned?

Is there any way I can teach the same techniques successfully (or buy their materials) at home in the same amount of time to save $$$?

Thank you!!!!!

I was considering signing my upcoming 9th grader for this program that is offered at alot of different universities nationwide.

http://readingprograms.org/summer-reading-programs/entering-6th-to-8th-graders/

I think he may be dyslexic so I thought maybe to sign him up the 6-8th grade level since the number of books (non -comic books) he's read is hardly any.

It says the 6-8th graders read Banner in the Sky, do speed reading, and comprehension, and literary analysis in 5 week, 2.5 hours a week.

It is alot of money though - $300. Not sure I can justify the cost unless I know it will really work.

Has anyone done this and have opinions to share? Does it really work and does the student continue to do well after the course, using the techniques learned?

Is there any way I can teach the same techniques successfully (or buy their materials) at home in the same amount of time to save $$$?

Thank you!!!!!

DS attended this between 1st and 2nd grade and it was a TOTAL waste of money. Use your resources and get your child tested for dyslexia. This program is such a rip off, it makes me angry to reflect upon it.

I signed them up for the Middle School program, but on the first day they tested at high school level for reading speed and comprehension. The teacher moved them to the high school class and it was beneficial for them. I don't think it would have been worth the money if they had to stay in the Middle School class, though. Given your concern about dyslexia, I agree that the money would be better spent addressing that specific issue with either a professional assessment or individual tutoring. Also, the cost of the class is about the same as paying for the same number of reading sessions at a tutoring center so consider that too before spending the money. HTH.

I found this thread on a search and I'm so glad I did. I was wondering about this for DS9. I just found out about this today. The lady sounded so convincing on the phone! But it's so much money. That's a really good point about spending the money on tutoring sessions instead. I'd be interested in hearing any other feedback as well. :bigear: