Menu

Base Ten sets - interlocking vs. plain, does it matter??

I bought the interlocking ones thinking they would be great because you could actually "build" a rod or flat.

Well, I should have taken into account my ds who loves to build a little too much. Every time I brought them out he thought it was break time - he would just hook them together and not really pay attention to what we we supposed to be doing.

Maybe the regular ones would be enough "less fun" to actually get some math done...

I bought the interlocking ones thinking they would be great because you could actually "build" a rod or flat.

Well, I should have taken into account my ds who loves to build a little too much. Every time I brought them out he thought it was break time - he would just hook them together and not really pay attention to what we we supposed to be doing.

Maybe the regular ones would be enough "less fun" to actually get some math done...

I have a set of old wooden ones, and I do like the fact that they are boring looking and do not hook together like legos. That said, ds does still pull them out and use them to build tall buildings, but usually not during math time. :tongue_smilie:

I have the entire set of MUS, colorful, interlocking blocks, as well as a plain old set of wooden base ten blocks. We don't do MUS anymore, and guess which blocks I always pull out...You got it! The "boring" ones! I kept the MUS blocks thinking we would surely use them, but I think they will be going leaving our home shortly!