Menu

Anyone ever used Homeschool Journey Portfolio's

Tabrett

I have used them, and really like them. They are grouped by cultures, so not completely chronological. They are very nicely done, and if you have a child who enjoys drawing they are a fantastic way to create a beautiful notebook. I struggled a bit with finding pictures online (my child was too young to search on his own) but now she has the teacher's guide which helps a lot. Not that is was hard to find things, it just meant spending time on the computer finding the images and saving them to a file and printing them. Now that would be a handy resource, maybe someone should put together a collection of links for images? I will have to think about that, I have several files where I saved images to include in ours. I think they are ideal for the 4th grade and up, I used it with one younger, and while we loved it, I can see how it would be a lot less work for me if I had waited to use it a bit later.

I have Ancient, Ancient Junior, and Medieval. I wanted to find a way to add more notebooking/lapbooking to our school but absolutely knew I would not have the patience or creativity to pull it off myself without help. These have been the best way to incorporate that without all the cutting/folding/finding/etc.. They are made of heavy cardstock, and have a great section in the back with tons of literature selections, copywork and dictation exercises, additional ideas, etc. Very thorough, very easy to incorporate into whatever history spine you use, and the kids have really learned alot while we assemble them. Highly recommend.

Debbie in OR,

What are the units or chapters for Ancient Junior. On the website they only show Egypt. Does it study the same things as the regular Ancients but on a younger level or are the studies different? Also, it shows spiral bound and 3 ring binders; are they spiral bound or 3 ring binders? Just wondering if you can add in your own material.

Thanks

The chapter sections are: First Civilizations; Ancient Near East; Ancient Bible Lands; Ancient Egypt; Ancient Greece; and Ancient Rome. The chapters are exactly the same for the Junior and the regular portfolio. The main difference is that the regular one has alot more white space for writing, drawing, etc., and more mapping. The junior has more printed "clip art" pictures, puzzles/games, wider lines for writing and considerably less writing space. I bought the Junior to use with my dd7 and the regular to use with my ds9. However, my ds does not like to write, so the Junior would have been just fine for him.

I got the spiral-bound ones but I really preferred the 3-ring binders. When I ordered them (through Rainbow Resource), there apparently is not a choice so I got just what they had. If I had to do it again, I would get the 3-ring just for the flexibility of adding our own stuff if we wanted. However, even with the spiral-bound, there really is alot of room for making these exactly the way you want them without having to follow her suggestions/format. HTH! I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have!

Debbie in OR,

Did you use it with SOTW? If so, how did it line up? The website said it was the history book used, but they left out chapters. How much of SOTW is left out?

Well, we do use SOTW loosely but I am not sure how much/if any of it is left out. We don't have the hardcopy...we use the CDs, the MOH CDs and Christine Miller's Story of the Ancient World. And then we read, read, read all the great literature suggestions she has in the back of each portfolio. Although they are geared towards SOTW, they are generic enough that you could use as much or as little of it or whatever spine you prefer.

For instance, under Ancient Bible Lands in the regular portfolio, the subtitles are: Map: Genesis from Ur to Canaan; Narration: The Story of Abraham; Map: Exodus; Images: The Ark of the Covenant; Copywork: The Ten Commandments; Images: The Tabernacle; Map: Babylonian Captivity; Copywork: Psalm 137; List: Books of the OT; Report: People of Israel; Report: Kings and Prophets of Israel. Ancient Rome has titles use as narrating The Aeneid, mapping the Roman Republic, matching Greek and Roman gods, reporting on famous Romans, mapping the world at the birth of Christ, etc..

How does this compare to Evan-Moor's History Pockets minus the suggested reading? Also, I see that there are 3 levels in the Jr. I am looking for something like this to use for one year from now. My DD will be 4 and DS 6. This looks nice, but I wouldn't want to do it too soon.

Erica

How does this compare to Evan-Moor's History Pockets minus the suggested reading? Also, I see that there are 3 levels in the Jr. I am looking for something like this to use for one year from now. My DD will be 4 and DS 6. This looks nice, but I wouldn't want to do it too soon.

Erica

I just ordered Ancient Junior today for 2009-2010 school year! I know I'm crazy! I just couldn't resist. The kiddo's I want to use it with will be 4 and 6 also that school year. I only bought 1 in case I thought it was too hard for the 4 year old. If it looks like it will work for the 4 year old I'm going to buy another. I read a review that said level one would work well for a 4yr old. I'm trying my best to keep the kid together.

When I get it in I will post what I think about it and whether I think it can be used with a 4 year old.

No, you are not crazy. I typically buy 1 1/2 years of stuff and it is a good thing since they are already "burning" through what I thought was going to get us to December. My husband, however, admires looking ahead to next fall, but might actually get up enough courage to ask me if I was getting ahead of myself. Not sure, but he might.

Back to the main topic now...;) Let me know what you think since our kids are the same age and this looks great!

Erica

Erica

I haven't seen the History Pockets so I can't compare. However, I feel that these portfolios truly could be adjusted for younger age kids...they are really flexible, IMO. (Although, I tend to tweak almost everything to adjust for our kids ages, regardless of what it is!).

• 3 weeks later...

In comparing w/ History Pockets by Evan Moor;

Evan Moor HP has preprinted stories and activities that you make in to a pocket book,

History Portfolio, is more of a book, that has designated spaces for specific information to be entered in by the student, maps, drawing, writing, clip art.

kim

• 1 month later...

Wanted to bump this topic & see if anyone else has comments.

We're starting our second round w/ SOTW I. I'm thinking of getting the regular Ancient History Porfolio for my 10yo to do as we go through ancients again. She would love all the detail, maps, things to color, etc..., I think. Would this be a good thing to add for 5th grade as a way to go more in depth this time around?

I'd love to hear any more comments (or see photos, hint hint) of any that folks have done. Do your kids (esp. in the 10yo - 12yo range) love it?

(I'm not interested in the Junior version. I do have a 2nd grader, but there is no way he would do coloring stuff, so I don't think it's worth the investment for him.)

• 7 months later...

Hist Ody2 is what my oldest is using now. The Ancients uses 2 Hist. Pockets books. I agree with Laurel's assessment of them. I have found the information pages useful for my son to practice one level outlining from. Other than that, I would pass. The 'notebooking' consists of map work and writing. My guy is NOT liking it. We will be dropping it for other reasons as well. This is not to say it is a bad curriculum. It most certainly is not. It just doesn't fit my guys.