Menu

Math help please

My DD12 is in 7th Grade. We had been using MUS up until this year(finished Zeta in 6th). We started out the year trying Chalkdust BCM. She couldn't handle the text. It was too dense(especially after MUS). So I ordered MUS Pre-Algebra and she couldn't handle the new concepts that were thrown at her - it is basically a catch-all text for the things that weren't covered in the lower grades. I found Saxon 7/6 used, so we started that after Christmas. We got up to about lesson 25 and floundered. I had a discussion with her about putting more effort in to her math and she started 7/6 over again. We are now up to about lesson 25 again and she is getting 15 questions wrong in each lesson(we do all the questions). I am at a loss as to what to do. I know some of it is adolescence. I switched one of her younger brothers to Saxon and he is in 6/5(in 5th Grade). She refuses to do the same text he is doing, and already says she is 'dumb'. I am tired of fighting with her about math.

She wants to be a Vet Tech, so she needs to be able to get into college. I need recommendations of a curriculum and path that will get there without us killing each other. At this point I am willing to try anything.

Thanks in advance,

Hmmm..

Well, I am a year behind you and NOT an expert on math. In fact, just the opposite. So, take what I say with a chunk of salt, ok?

An experienced homeschooling friend suggested that I take 7th grade math to be a little 'different' before staring the high school merry go round. She suggested lots of hands on math for a change of pace.

So, next year we are doing two Tops Science units. We are doing Math Lab and Probability. We will also be working our way through the Key To Algebra series. I don't have them all yet so I don't have a picture in my mind of exactly how we will get through all three, but she has done it a couple of times.

So, the Tops units would be very different for her. They are hands on and give her growing brain and body something to make. The Key To series is very clean and incremental. If she does start getting most questions wrong, it should be clear where it falls apart. All of that should get her prepped for Algebra.