Menu

Latin Prep 1

kailuamom

I think I have settled on Latin Prep for my 11 yo dd. For those of you who have used it, are these the items I need to get started? I am thinking of using bookdepository.com and found these items there.

Latin Prep Book 1

Latin Prep Book 1: Answer Book

Latin Prep Book 1: Workbook A

Latin Prep Book 1: Workbook B

Latin Prep Book 1: Workbook 1A and 1B Answer Book

What about the audio cd? I have no Latin background, so I don't know the pronunciations, etc.

Thanks!

We've been fine with that.

I haven't bought the audio CD as it didn't exist when I bought my stuff 6 mos ago. I think we've learned how to pronounce things reasonably well, following the instructions in the first chapter. We spent a couple weeks practicing the various sounds before really getting far in Chapter 1. We read the translations, flashcards, etc aloud routinely and correct eachother and so get better all the time.

I think we do fine, and IMHO the spoken language isn't a huge big deal with Latin as it is with modern languages. (One of the beauties of Latin!). If you're on a tight budget, I think you can safely skip the audio CD. If you feel really intimidated by learning the pronounciation and muddling through as you get the hang of it, then the audio CD could surely be a help. I wish they weren't quite so expensive relative to the rest of the materials!

FWIW, I did order the CD for SYRWTL Spanish, which my dd11 will be starting soon, as verbal stuff is pretty vital in Spanish and I need all the help I can get! I haven't been tempted by the Latin CD yet as the $ tag seemed high and we're doing OK without it.

Also, I just ordered the Puzzles book for LP1 as a supplement for extra drill. If your dc like crozzword puzzles, etc, that may be a worth the few dollars to help reduce the hours you need with flashcards. (I think it will be especially helpful with my 9yo, as the program is a stretch for him and so anything to make it more fun and easier to drill will help; my 11yo probably doesn't *need* it but she likes puzzles as well.)

Also, you can skip the workbooks if you like and that will greatly reduce the cost (and make it completely non-consumable as well). We do have them and are using them, but I think it could easily be done w/o the workbooks (which aren't even published for the subsequent levels). They are not integral to the program and you can do fine with just the text & answer key. If your dc need extra practice on a topic before moving on, you can easily make up "practice sheets" on your own (I will just pick selected exercises verbatim and type them up in new combination . . . That way I still have the exact answers for me to check them, as I am just learning as well . . .) Again, if $ isn't a barrier, I think the workbooks are handy, esp for dc under 11 or so.

FWIW, I order through horriblebooks.com and Ray has been very good to work with and the prices are good. (I haven't shopped around but had heard his prices were best.)

S0, I just bought the audio download. :glare:

Oh my. I went over to the yahoo Galore Park group and noticed that Nick Oulton had put out a 50% discount code. . . . So, it was 10 pounds ($20+/-?). . . (MUCH less than I just paid for the Spanish CD!) It sounds great and is worth that much to me. I am *so* flaky! :D

Also, I just ordered the Puzzles book for LP1 as a supplement for extra drill. If your dc like crozzword puzzles, etc, that may be a worth the few dollars to help reduce the hours you need with flashcards. (I think it will be especially helpful with my 9yo, as the program is a stretch for him and so anything to make it more fun and easier to drill will help; my 11yo probably doesn't *need* it but she likes puzzles as well.)

Also, you can skip the workbooks if you like and that will greatly reduce the cost (and make it completely non-consumable as well). We do have them and are using them, but I think it could easily be done w/o the workbooks (which aren't even published for the subsequent levels). They are not integral to the program and you can do fine with just the text & answer key. If your dc need extra practice on a topic before moving on, you can easily make up "practice sheets" on your own (I will just pick selected exercises verbatim and type them up in new combination . . . That way I still have the exact answers for me to check them, as I am just learning as well . . .) Again, if $ isn't a barrier, I think the workbooks are handy, esp for dc under 11 or so....

I have to disagree with some of this. The Puzzle book is *not* keyed to Latin Prep, and I found it difficult to use with my students because of this. It's possible to use (especially later in the program), but it didn't provide much useful practice for the vocabulary as they were learning it. I will not have my classes purchase the Puzzle book in the future. I think it was a waste of money.

The workbooks on the other hand provided a tremendous amount of *very* useful practice, both of vocabulary and grammar concepts. I'm *really* sorry they don't have the workbooks for subsequent levels and think they were *well* worth the cost. I'll make do without them this coming year for my LP2 class, but I'll miss them. Yes, together with the textbook, it was a huge amount of practice. But it's hard to get too much. There were different stories (including some good myths and history to know), lots and lots and lots of grammar practice. I think the workbooks are a huge asset to LP1.

Lastly, I've found good prices from BookDepository.co.uk as well as from Ray at Horrible Books -- and if I'm only ordering a couple of things, it tends to be a better price from Book Depository. I've had good experiences ordering from both.