Menu

I have a question for anyone who frequents Wisconsin's beaches on Lake Michigan...

We went to Racine a couple of years ago to visit Lake Michigan. I grew up going to WI every summer and the trip was so much fun for me (well, us, but me for memories.) We will be within a couple of hours of Racine all next month - I wanted to take the kids back to the "beach" a few times. I know it will be too cold to swim, even in July it wasn't comfortable in the water, but I was thinking a picnic lunch/playing frisbee/letting them dig in the sand...that sort of thing. However, I noticed, while searching, that the "beach season" doesn't start until May 25, 2012... what does that mean? Does it mean you can't even be on the beaches until then? I wondered if it just meant that life guards wouldn't be posted until then, so if you choose to go you can't hold them liable for any accidents...except, we went to Zoo Beach, were there almost daily for a week, and never saw any life guard. They had a chair, but no guard. So, should I worry about beach season? Are we going to be arrested if we go down to the beach to mess around? The kids wouldn't be in the water, well maybe splashing ankle deep or getting pails of water to play in the sand, but they don't want to freeze. I just don't want to get in trouble :tongue_smilie:

We went to Racine a couple of years ago to visit Lake Michigan. I grew up going to WI every summer and the trip was so much fun for me (well, us, but me for memories.) We will be within a couple of hours of Racine all next month - I wanted to take the kids back to the "beach" a few times. I know it will be too cold to swim, even in July it wasn't comfortable in the water, but I was thinking a picnic lunch/playing frisbee/letting them dig in the sand...that sort of thing. However, I noticed, while searching, that the "beach season" doesn't start until May 25, 2012... what does that mean? Does it mean you can't even be on the beaches until then? I wondered if it just meant that life guards wouldn't be posted until then, so if you choose to go you can't hold them liable for any accidents...except, we went to Zoo Beach, were there almost daily for a week, and never saw any life guard. They had a chair, but no guard. So, should I worry about beach season? Are we going to be arrested if we go down to the beach to mess around? The kids wouldn't be in the water, well maybe splashing ankle deep or getting pails of water to play in the sand, but they don't want to freeze. I just don't want to get in trouble :tongue_smilie:

We went to a state park in Michigan yesterday (Lake Huron) the actual state parks are not open until later in May. That usually means locked gates and you can't get in. Sometimes you can find a beaches that aren't state that are open. I'd check first before I drove a long way.

Hmmm. I don't remember there being anything that they could have "locked" on Zoo Beach. It wasn't fenced and it is just off on the side of a residential area road. Anyone familiar with that specific beach who could comment? I didn't like some of the neighboring beaches, as they were too crowded, Zoo Beach was almost deserted. It was usually us and one or two other families. So nice :)

I suppose I could call the hotel we stayed at last time and ask them. They are close to that beach, perhaps someone there would know which ones are open to the public right now. I think that's super odd to "close" a park/beach... LOL

On the Michigan side of Lake Michigan, closed for the season means the toilets are not open, there is no staff in the restaurants etc. Butyou can still enjoy the beach. Holland State Park has an outhouse available. :blink:

Try to find an online listing of State parks for Wisconsin and you should be able to find information to let you know what is available before the season officially opens.