Here is what I need:

Open and go

No previous experience needed

No artistic ability needed

Not hideously boring

For the reluctant student

At least on a 7/8th grade level with the option of using through high school

$50 or less per subject

In the past I've tried Meet the Great Composers and Artistic Pursuits. Dd does take classical guitar lessons.

Does it exist?

If a student hasn't learned basic skills, now is as good a time as any to start learning some. I start my tutoring students--if they want art--off with grade 1 materials, and I sometimes still use grade 1 materials myself. I adore Augsburg's grade 1 crayon "painting" lessons.

This is the level one of my adult student is working at right now. I had to create this worksheet, because combining bits of pieces, from here and there, was too confusing for her. My drawing is pretty primitive, but...it's consistent and can be copied :-0

6ad86fe6.jpg

The only art program I've ever successfully used with an older child is Mark Kistler's Draw Squad. After that, my ds started using how to draw manga books then taking art classes. With my girls, I just skipped straight to art class. I'm not artistic, but apparently art is a skill that can be learned from another skilled person. Somebody should have told my 7th grade art teacher that, but that is a story for another day.

After working through the Draw Squad, my ds was able to make a basic drawing in pencil of most things he wanted to draw. Over the years, he's learned more skills. Draw Squad took him from being embarrassed by what he drew to being able to express himself. I think that is the whole point of middle school art class.

Until you find a formal curriculum, you could always use the library for art books. My son is very young, but he loves to draw. I have no idea how to draw so I checked out lots of books on how to draw the simplest things. That makes our drawing time fun. I'm sure there are similiar books for high school students using different kinds of media.

Perhaps if your child can see different mediums used in books and trips to the museum, the child can decide the type of art they would like to learn and create.

As for music, I think exposure is the best bet so a freebie choice for now could be the classical stations on www.pandora.com or living book on the biographies of famous composers along with some music history books from the library.

I'm searching for the same thing! I've been making up my own but I'm sure I'm missing something. This blog http://harmonyartmom.blogspot.com/ is having a Harmony Art sale this weekend only for $12.95 for the ebook. It follows a four year cycle like SOTW. The books through 8th grade are on sale; there are high school books buy idk a thing about them.

Of course you need to buy a few other things, but I'm hoping to end up around $50. I just bought it yesterday so I can't endorse it at all. Hope you find something.

Here is what I need:

Open and go

No previous experience needed

No artistic ability needed

Not hideously boring

For the reluctant student

At least on a 7/8th grade level with the option of using through high school

$50 or less per subject

In the past I've tried Meet the Great Composers and Artistic Pursuits. Dd does take classical guitar lessons.

Does it exist?

The red parts are where I got stuck. I figure there are expressive courses that don't teach skills, but I think they are not popular with most homeschoolers. Most homeschoolers want to identify the level a student is working at, and build from there.

Are you looking to teach skills, or just to give the student an opportunity to express herself and check off the subject as done? Are you willing to back up, or is the 7th grade level the most important criteria to you?

You probably could create some type of course using a middle/adult school art history book as the spine. Is open and go, the most important to you? Do you want an art history focus or a project based focus?

Sorry I wish I could help more. I discovered art late in life and enjoy introducing it to others late in life. But my methods rely strongly on using primary resources, and is a true smorgasbord. And as I said in the last post, as pathetic as my skills are, sometimes I even need to create my own materials.

The red parts are where I got stuck. I figure there are expressive courses that don't teach skills, but I think they are not popular with most homeschoolers. Most homeschoolers want to identify the level a student is working at, and build from there.

Are you looking to teach skills, or just to give the student an opportunity to express herself and check off the subject as done? Are you willing to back up, or is the 7th grade level the most important criteria to you?

You probably could create some type of course using a middle/adult school art history book as the spine. Is open and go, the most important to you? Do you want an art history focus or a project based focus?

Sorry I wish I could help more. I discovered art late in life and enjoy introducing it to others late in life. But my methods rely strongly on using primary resources, and is a true smorgasbord. And as I said in the last post, as pathetic as my skills are, sometimes I even need to create my own materials.

Something that says Level One is probably okay. Dd might dismiss it entirely with "I know how to draw" if the books say Grade One.