Menu

two strand history

iona

I'm brainstorming some plans that would incorporate two strands...a us history/modern strand and an ancients/classics strand. I was thinking of overlapping two six year cycles so we'd be doing greeks/romans/middle ages at the same time as modern/us history.

My reasons for altering the four year cycle have to do with trying to fit my middle son in. Since I'd like to try and combine the kids, this rearrangement would help him read certain books at a more appropriate age (for example sotw 4 not in third grade or augustine and dante as a young 9th grader)

I know that things hardly ever go as planned, so there is some silliness in these longterm plans.

I'm curious if anyone does history like this. How does it work out for you? What potential problems do you see with a setup like this?

We don't really have something like that, but we have 3 succintly different programs going for Geography/History.

World History: Story of the World - So Ancients this year, Middle Ages next year.

World Geography: We're focusing on Culture/Overview of "current" countries & cultures. Using Expedition Earth and Unit Studies/Supplements, we'll be doing this over 3 years. So this year is Asia and part of Europe. At the end of those 3 years, we'll do 1 year of mapping type geography, and (I haven't looked this far ahead) but I was thinking of doing WP CaTW program stretched over 3 years.

"Our Country" Studies/Geography/History: We have this as a separate subject. If we were in the US, we could incorporate it easily into SOTW studies (most probably anyway) but since we're in Australia we do a 4 year cycle, just a bit differently. So this year is "overview" year. Learning about the different places in Australia (we're using Australia Book Traveller for this), next year we'll be focusing on Aboriginal History & Culture (pieced together by me), after that it will be Aussie History from settlement+ times, then the next year will be modern history. And then all over again the same thing. We do Aussie Studies 2 times a week, and on a 3rd day, I use Suceeding in Social Studies (2 pages) which is a simple textbook from an Aussie Homeschool place (the type of one that starts of with all about me & my family, and continues through to about Australia, and Australian History/Government by the end of the series).

Thats as close as we get to combing anything LOL. We're following rotations, just of a different sort. Not sure if that helped or not though :001_huh: LOL

So it would be U.S. and world in the early modern era? Same time period-different focus?

Term 1

Columbus through Colonial Times

Queen Elizabeth through Galileo

Term 2

French and Indian War through Causes of the Revolution

Dutch East India Company through Catherine the Great

Term 3

Revolution through the Alamo

Napoleon through Garibaldi

http://simplycharlottemason.com/store/samples/Early-Modern-Epistles-sample.pdf