Menu

PAL instead of FLL?

snade878

My first post.....though I've read MANY very helpful posts. Thank you to everyone who shares on here! I can't find an answer to this question, however.

I'm looking at curriculum for my 6 year old who will be in 1st grade next year and is reading very well (learned via 100 EZ). We're also about halfway through AAS, Level 1. I"m very intrigued by the Primary Arts of Language curriculum, though I was planning to begin FLL next year. My question is, if I do PAL, does it replace FLL or would I do it as well? I've taken a look at PAL writing and it seems FLL would be redundant, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something. I would probably also start my 4 1/2 yo on PAL Reading. Our co-op is going to begin the IEW with 3rd/4th graders so it would be great to get him on the path towards that.

Thanks for your help!

I have both FLL & PAL writing. Here is my opinion.....FLL does a great job teaching grammar. I've got 1 doing FLL 1 and another doing FLL 3. I think that they learn alot doing it and will have a solid idea about grammar after doing it. PAL writing has some aspects of grammar in it but I see it more as grammar that helps with their writing process. I have 1 who started PAL and will finish it next year, and 1 who is doing IEW SWI A. I think that I would say that they compliment each other nicely and I plan to use both. Next year we will be doing FLL2 & 4 along with PAL writing & IEW SICC A.

Let me start by saying that we are using PAL and loving it! My 3.5 yr old cries when it is time to be done! As far as using it with FLL, we won't be adding anything to PAL. We are now using an applied grammar approach, so with my dd6 we will use PAL, and we are reading GrammarLand just for fun:) When she gets old enough (maybe next year?) we will start IEW Fix-It, Killgallon, and we are learning Latin too. So I guess it reallly depends on your grammar philosophy.

I can see what you mean about PAL including more grammar that's involved in the writing process. I guess I need to learn a little more about the teaching of grammar to see what the different options and philosophies are. FLL does seem extremely thorough. Thanks for the other suggestions of what to use.

I'm glad to hear your 3.5 yo likes it. I'm thinking my 4yo will really enjoy the games with PAL Reading. He knows all his letter sounds and is beginning to read CVC words, but I don't want to overload him with too much overtly academic stuff at 4. There will be plenty of time for that!

I can see what you mean about PAL including more grammar that's involved in the writing process. I guess I need to learn a little more about the teaching of grammar to see what the different options and philosophies are. FLL does seem extremely thorough. Thanks for the other suggestions of what to use.

I'm glad to hear your 3.5 yo likes it. I'm thinking my 4yo will really enjoy the games with PAL Reading. He knows all his letter sounds and is beginning to read CVC words, but I don't want to overload him with too much overtly academic stuff at 4. There will be plenty of time for that!

We are using only PAL. I had thought about using FLL but felt that it would be redundant. We use Jr. Analytical Grammar in 5th grader and Analytical Grammar starting in 6th, so I decided that FLL would be overkill for our needs in elementary grades. PAL gives a sufficient introduction to grammar concepts. For the years in between PAL and JAG we're going to use Mad Libs to stay up on the different parts of speech.:D