Menu

Spelling lists activities

blondeviolin

We're at the point in AAS 2 where there are a few lists of vowel-consonant-e words. Abby understands that the silent e makes the previous vowel long...sometimes she still forgets, but I think that's typical.

I have her write the words in the list, dictate a couple of phrases and sentences, but that's it. I don't want to speed her through AAS2 because a) that would be expensive and b) I want her to really internalize it and c) I want it to be a little easy.

Do you have any activities that you require of your child with lists of words like this? I'm remembering being in elementary and having busywork like writing words five times each...

Check out Spelling Time and Spelling City for ideas. Also, abcteach.com has some worksheets you can make yourself (this is fee based). You might be able to view the free document section to get some ideas though.

Word searchs, word shape (where you match the word to the correct set of sized squares), etc. come to mind as ideas.