Menu

Thinking about homeschooling my FASD children

I have been homeschooling for the past 12 years. I have two biological children that I've homeschooled through 8th grade and they are doing well in high school. I am also in the process of homeschooling two other kiddos. I am thinking about bring my adopted FASD twins home to homeschool next year for 3rd grade. I would like to know if it is even possible to use the WTM suggested resources with children with severe special needs? I have been using FLL and WWE with my younger child and love using this method but I am scared to even try it with children with special needs. I believe that Saxon Math would be the best for them because of the constant review. But want to know what other suggestions you might have for Language Arts.:confused:

Can you go ahead and try the lessons and simply modify them as needed? I am not in the same situation, but often just ease up or increase the difficulty of a single lesson so that it covers all three of my students' needs. Sometimes I find additional worksheets that are age-appropriate online, sometimes we just do the work as a team.

I have been homeschooling for the past 12 years. I have two biological children that I've homeschooled through 8th grade and they are doing well in high school. I am also in the process of homeschooling two other kiddos. I am thinking about bring my adopted FASD twins home to homeschool next year for 3rd grade. I would like to know if it is even possible to use the WTM suggested resources with children with severe special needs? I have been using FLL and WWE with my younger child and love using this method but I am scared to even try it with children with special needs. I believe that Saxon Math would be the best for them because of the constant review. But want to know what other suggestions you might have for Language Arts.:confused:

I really struggle with wanting to use WWE with my 12 yo DS who is not FASD...I've been told repeatedly that he requires systematic, explicit, and direct multi-sensory instruction. We start in the Fall. I was told that Winston Grammar, Daily Grams for punctuation, and IEW were good options.

you are flexible. You'll need to adapt. Slow down, supplement, review when needed.

I found Saxon to be awful for my stuggling math student. It just isn't flexible enough.

IME, curriculum is just a resources you use. As the teacher/parent you need to assess, review, and set the pace for learning.

I love the TWTM focus on language and the classsical way of teaching writing (narration, copywork, dictation, outlining, etc.), but I don't believe it is a pick-up and go structure that works for struggling and sometimes even average kids.

Take from it what works and let the rest go. For example, I wouldn't attempt Latin with a kiddo that has a significant LD. And, I'm not sure that formal grammar with diagraming is all that necessary or useful in an LD situation. I think that time is better used working on the 3R's.

HTH, Stacy