Menu

Has anyone used WTM History for High School?

The short answer is "yes." The long answer could go on for many pages.

There are posts on this current page that give suggestions for following WTM history. If you scroll back through pages you'll see WTM history discussed further... or at least some different manifestations of it.

WTM history is definitely doable, and definitely tweak-able based on your and your child's needs and interests.

A more specific question might get more responses. Like, if your daughter will start with ancient history, you can check the texts recommended in WTM, and then do a search on this board (via a button to the upper right corner of this screen... mine's lit up a bright Christmas red) to see the previous discussions about each one. Then you can check out how people have used or are planning to use SWB's History of the Ancient World as a "spine," or basic guideline to approaching the Great Books.

There are so many questions you could ask.

"How does a younger student handle these difficult books that college students usually read?"

"How do we go about doing the Great Books if my child has not followed WTM in the grammar/logic stages?"

"How long do 9th graders normally spend on history using WTM?"

"Do anyone really keep binders?"

"Has it been worth it to do history this way?"

"What do colleges think of these historical classifications?"

"What about college-required American history?"

"How much do you adapt WTM to your family? What are some non-negotiables concerning WTM that you will always/never use?

"What are the best/worst things about ______ book/time period?"

See what I mean? :)

Welcome to the high school board. I use WTM, for history and literature, adapted to my own family, and I'm pretty happy with it. My 10th grade son will be doing the Ancients next year using SWB's History of the Ancient World as a spine coupled with Warren Carroll's Founding of Christendom for Bible history and a few sections of Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature (I'm thinking just the Genesis and Gilgamesh sections). We'll go to ancient writers for literature and history. I'll require written summaries of chapters and biblical books, maybe two comparative essays on perspectives from either side of an ancient battle, and one 7-8 page paper on a person (I think I'll pick his subject for him) next year.

I used it for the 2nd half of 9th gr. w/my older dd. We began the year w/Omnibus I, but it wasn't a good "fit" for us. The WTM/WEM combination provided me with a "doable" plan that I could modify as I saw fit. We had a great time studying the Ancients. I feel that although we spent only 1/2 a year with WTM, we got a lot out of our studies.

I am now using WTM/WEM w/my younger dd, and plan to use it for our final two years of homeschool. (8th-9th gr.)