Menu

Help me pick a writing curriculum

Please :)

This is for 8 yo DD (grade 3). She can dictate wonderful stories and letters to me, but hate-hate-hates putting pencil to paper.

She is a low-average speller.

Except for capitalizing the first letter and ending with punctuation, she doesn't know much about mechanics.

She dislikes copywork, I assume because it involves, well, writing.

I'm at a loss. Any suggestions?

My son also dislikes the actual act of writing, and he is doing wonderfully with WWE 1. The copywork sentences start out really short and get longer from there, so he's been able to build up his hand strength. We spend about 5 minutes per day, 4 days per week, and he's also learning about sentence structure and practicing narration. Totally painless!

Have you taken a look at Essentials in Writing. It starts out covering Grammar and then moves into writing. Each lesson is taught using a DVD and then the child applies what they have learned by using their workbook. I am currently using the Grade 3 program with my son (8). He really likes the instructor on the DVD and is doing well in his workbook. It may be worth checking into. You can find samples at http://www.essentialsinwriting.com. The price is very affordable.