Menu

New frontrunner reason I homeschool:

I was thinking about some threads about how much we want our children to learn (for life).

About how expensive college is and how poor we are.

I guess my new top reason for homeschooling is that what I teach them may be all they ever get!

Based on this my goals are:

a) to cram as much as I can into them to prepare them for life and to be able to converse with other learned people without being intimidated

b) to develop a love of learning and a "well trained mind" that can learn more efficiently so they can successfully continue their education any way they can.

I have been preparing a schedule (fairly tough) for DD11 all the way through high school, and I was feeling sort of bad, but now? Not so much.

Lara

I have a "plan" that I put all my kids through. I do alter it depending on the kid. I want mine to do very well on the SAT - it helps big time. I would like them to do running start - it is the qualifier for the hs diploma here it seems. However, I have decided that I want them to be as well educated as possible but still cater to their talents and interests. While academics are important relationship and family are just as important. :)

My oldest (22) will graduate in December from an expensive college with no scholarships having paid for it himself. He just enrolled and paid for his last class. No loans, but he has worked since he was 16. It can be done.

My daughter will have her associates degree from the jr college at the end of this semester having paid for her books & classes herself by working at the local grocery store. She just got a promotion/raise that will enable her to pay for her degree at the same 4 yr university her brother went to.

Doing college this way has done some things for my kids....my oldest (since he is closest to graduation) feels very good about having accomplished this on his own AND he has had very much to say about the quality of his education. He is the buyer, after all, and he feels strongly about the strengths and weaknesses of what he has purchased. He will be doing his capstone project on this very subject.

I just say this because even though college is expensive (and because we can't pay for it...though we provide room and board) it can be done without being particularly brilliant and without going into debt. It does, however, take a strong work ethic.

The other thought I had is that by no means is what I've taught my children all they know or will learn. Teach them to learn and don't stifle their curiosity. Guard and protect that precious gift innately given to them, and they will always be learning and acquiring the knowledge they need when they need/want it.

:iagree: And that is some pretty darn good motivation for staying focused, on track, and serious about it! I've started telling DS when he slacks off (don't berate me about this because he's 5, please) "If I am putting my heart and soul into your lessons, I expect you to put a similar effort into learning."

I modify that a little to reflect that DH has to work so very hard to support us and our school. HE works 6 days a week, WE work 6 days a week. HE works all summer, WE work all summer (but not all day).

We try to take some time to see my relatives in Texas, but other than that, the only time off is with DH (a couple of long weekend trips)

Lara