Menu

Phonics- Memoria press or Abeka

mhaddon

I can't decide for Kindergarten if we should go with Abeka K5 or try the Memoria Press K package. I keep coming back to memoir press, but my friend is letting me borrow the Abeka K5 to look through and I'm not sure where to go. I am pretty sure he is going to be a quick learner so either option seems possible, where as with my older son I don't think either would have worked.

I love Abeka phonics. My ds went through (most of) it. I would do it with my daughter, but because it is somewhat time consuming, we are trying out Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading. That is going well so far, but if at any point I don't like it, we will be going back to Abeka. I do not have any experience with Memoria Press phonics.

I taught all 6 of my dc to read using Abeka Phonics & Reading. With the last one, I ventured to try something different...OPGTR. It ended up being a waste of time and I went back to Abeka. :) Abeka is just good and solid. It does the job and is as fun as the teacher makes it. ;)

I have never used their K5 program, though. All my kids went straight into their first grade program.

I'm going to use OPGTR, but I'm also going to use My Blend and Word Book from Abeka K and The Handbook for Reading from Abeka 1st. Which The Handbook for Reading starts out at the beginning of learning each letter, b/c 1st grade begins the year with a total review. I probably don't need the Blend and Word book, but oh well. Abeka's phonics are pretty good, IMO, but I'm familiar enough with how it works that I'm sure I can teach it just from those two books alone. But we're just going to use it as extra practice for OPGTR.

So if he knows all the letter sounds and is blending well on his own should we do the first grade level and go slow at first and then move on??

I've noticed looking through the math that he knows almost all of it already as well...

And I should say I've not taught him any of this he has done it all on his own :blush:

I have been very pleased with Memoria Press phonics. My ds knew his letter sounds and could write his letters prior to starting. MP phonics teaches writing with the phonics. It has been a great fit for ds. He is reading the Primary Phonics readers (we started the program in January). It has been a very gentle yet thorough program.

(We are using all the components of the MP K phonics, not First Start Reading alone.)

We used the A Beka Handbook for Reading along with the readers to teach DD #1 to read, worked great once she was blending - started with grade 1 readers. Essentially, you don't need the teacher's guide etc. Just do a Handbook page followed by a section of the reader that matches the lesson just taught. I haven't used the MP program though.

I hear so many people go on about how advanced abeka is and how far ahead the reading level is so I feel pulled in that direction because I know he could keep up, but I love how MP looks and it seems to be advanced too?