Menu

Preserving baby clothes and vintage valentines

Any suggestions for me? I finally received my grandmother's cedar chest from my Dad. Inside, in a bit of a jumble, were many things. Several of my dad's baby clothes and (I think) my grandmother's baby clothes. The most beautiful thing inside were vintage valentine cards with real ribbons and fabric that my Dad had sent to my grandmother and some from when she was a little girl and receiving them from my grandfather. There is also an all-cloth A,B,C book in excellent condition.

I want to take the time to preserve them in some way - bag them up or put them in a scrapbook (which I'm not sure about, I don't want to damage them). There are many newspaper articles that I'd like to save.

I'd also like to start storing our baby clothes, etc in the chest. That would free up space since we're not planning on storing blankets or anything in there. It would be like a memory chest or something similar.

Any suggestions for me?

Shadow boxes to display the valentines would be nice.

Could you do a memory quilt with the baby clothes?

Some of them are literally falling apart. I'm going to clean them carefully by hand and then box them up with a short note about where they came from. I might need to bag them up in plastic or something.

I like the idea about shadow boxes for some of the valentines.

Prariewindmomma, I'll have to order them. Thanks :)

I have large acid-free boxes with acid-free tissue I purchased from The Container Store; one for special momentos from each child.

You can also purchase archival sprays that will help neutralize acid in paper products. It will not reverse any damage already done, but it will help prevent further deterioration. You can also purchase archival sleeves or envelopes to keep the cards an papers in that will help protect them as well.