Menu

Using Singapore & Horizons together - which books exactly???

diaperjoys

I'm setting up Singapore as our math spine, and I want to use Horizons for ongoing spiral review. I'm assuming I'd use just the Horizons workbooks. But which Singapore books? HIG + Textbook + Workbook? Or would I also use CWP + Extra Practice??

This is for my rising 3rd grader. He's very math capable (according to the CogAT) but currently underachieving (according to the IOWA). We've used non-conceptual material up to this point, so I'm hoping the Singapore will help remedy the situation. Without constant spiral review, though, we quickly lose what we work on.

I'm setting up Singapore as our math spine, and I want to use Horizons for ongoing spiral review. I'm assuming I'd use just the Horizons workbooks. But which Singapore books? HIG + Textbook + Workbook? Or would I also use CWP + Extra Practice??

This is for my rising 3rd grader. He's very math capable (according to the CogAT) but currently underachieving (according to the IOWA). We've used non-conceptual material up to this point, so I'm hoping the Singapore will help remedy the situation. Without constant spiral review, though, we quickly lose what we work on.

I add CWP and Intensive Practice (IP). I know a lot of people love IP but I could take it or leave it. I'm using it to keep my kiddos from zooming ahead. CWP is a must IMHO. Your ds doesn't need Extra Practice (EP). That's for remedial practice.

ETA: You definitely need the TB and WB. I wouldn't do SM without the HIG. I like the overview of the lessons and the mental math worksheets a lot.

I only buy the Horizons workbooks. The only reason you might want the TM is for the answers but I just figure them out myself.

Edited by Dinsfamily

I find that the TM for Horizons are not very good in guiding a teacher. It gives the objecties for each lesson suggestion how to use some manipulatives and it reminds to do some skip counting or review some facts. I have only used these for the answers if my DH is helping me mark the books of on the rare ocasion I need to look up and answer because I do not undestand the question.

On the TM there are only a few worksheets for Extra practice and math facts. From Horizon 4 the TM has 4 term exams.

We use Horizons as our main and Singapore as a supplement. We only use the Singapore work books and CWP.

Horizons has lots of repetition and it can take a while so you will find that every lesson they will have between 6-12 additions or subtractions (level 3) multiplication, division or fractions (level 4). After I am confident that my children have grasped a concept firmly I usually mark only half of those repetition problems.

We will be starting level 5 soon but I am yet to look at the manual so cannot comment. The manual is sitting on the shelf somewhere.

Hope that this helps...