Menu

Does Math In Focus do a good job with mental math?

diaperjoys

Can you give me an example of the mental math section in the HIG? I'll tell you if we've done anything similar in Math in Focus or if there is anything comparable. :001_smile:

There are "mental math lists" in the back of the book, and the user is referred to them every so often. It is a list of math facts to be completed by memory. For example, today had lots of problems with 12+6=.... and the student was to practice adding the ones and thus figure out the sum in their head.

I'm still trying (and trying, and trying, and trying) to figure out how to use the HIG, so I'm not sure how often this is used. But it was sure a help today and reinforced the lesson well.

I'm still trying (and trying, and trying, and trying) to figure out how to use the HIG,

Not sure what edition you have, but the Standards Edition HIG is MUCH BETTER than the US Edition. Easier to see at a glance what you need to do, not as visually cluttered/confusing. Much better.

• 10 months later...