Menu

WWS Question..another one

This is probably obvious, but I'm stuck on the method of the narrative summary.

Coming from a CM style - where the child is only allowed to read the work only once before narrating, I'm confused as to whether to allow the child to look at the passage they've just read when they're coming up with their phrases/short sentences.

Could someone please enlighten me? :) Thanks!

Well, in the instructions she tells them to go back and look at a particular section in order to answer a question or to illustrate a point etc. And it would be difficult to outline something if one only read it once.

:iagree:

We treat our WWS work differently than our narrations in other subjects because the purpose is different. In other subjects she narrates after only one reading.

When we started WWS, ds had no experience in summarizing (we had used IEW) and he was terrible at it. We actually quite WWS for 4 weeks and I bought WWE3 for him to do. We only did the summaries (not the dictation), and we did 1 week (2 summaries) every day for 20 days. Once he got the hang of it, he asked to stop WWE, and we moved back to WWS. It has been a very appropriate level for him ever since.

HTH,

Ruth in NZ

When we started WWS, ds had no experience in summarizing (we had used IEW) and he was terrible at it. We actually quite WWS for 4 weeks and I bought WWE3 for him to do. We only did the summaries (not the dictation), and we did 1 week (2 summaries) every day for 20 days. Once he got the hang of it, he asked to stop WWE, and we moved back to WWS. It has been a very appropriate level for him ever since.

HTH,

Ruth in NZ

Ruth, is there any reason why you used WWE3 and not WWE4?

Ruth, is there any reason why you used WWE3 and not WWE4?

Mostly because my younger son at the time was working on WWE2, and I was not sure that I would be ever using WWE4 with him because of the very long dictations. So I bought WWE3 so I could use it with 2 kids. Ends up, that younger did not like WWE at all and we have moved to IEW. :001_smile:

I really could have had him do summaries with anything he read, but it was just very tidy and organized to use WWE, and he really enjoyed comparing his summaries to the example summaries in the teacher's book. Help me to be objective in my expectations.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma