Menu

Prentice Hall vs. Holt physical science

I'm trying to decide between these texts for Fall. We are enrolled with Kolbe and they offer plans for the PH book. We just completed Earth Science from Holt and my daughter enjoyed it. Rainbow Resource sells Holt, and I'm ok with creating my own lesson plan. So, anyone have an opinion of one vs the other?

Although I haven't used these extensively, I do have both the Holt Physical Science (Science and Technology) and the PH small books for the chemistry sections. The Holt presentation appeals to me more as the pages appear somewhat less cluttered and busy. We will be using the physics portions of this text next year, along with the virtual lab CD and various other hands-on labs I will pull together. I like the virtual lab CD. We are using it along with the chemistry sections of Plato Physical Science this year.

In comparing the content of the Holt text to the PH text, however, the two appear fairly similar.

I believe Kolbe uses the Holt "Spectrum" Physical Science, which is different from what I have (Holt "Science and Technology" Physical Science). I'm not positive about that, so you might want to double check in case you intend to use Kolbe's lesson plans.

HTH.

It's this one: http://books.kolbe.org/store/p/558-PRENTICE-HALL-PHYSICAL-SCIENCE.html

Kolbe uses it for 9th grade, and she can use it next year in 8th for high school credit.

That is the one we use. It is a very thorough, rigorous text. It is heavy in math, although Algebra should suffice. I found it a far cry from texts meant to be used in 8th grade, although that is when we use it. It is full of pull outs, pictures graphics, quick labs, etc. If you like pages of straight text, you won't like it. I haven't used the Holt book to compare, but I am impressed by this one. It is the first half of high school chemistry, followed by the first half of high school physics. Great preparation for Biology or other advanced high school sciences.