Menu

Plato History

I've seen Plato Science mentioned here a bit before, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone who has used their History programs. If you have used Plato's History programs, what can you tell me about it? I would like to find something independent for ds to work on next year and I'd really like it to be American History. It looks like Plato would fit both of these needs but I really don't know anything about it, and Plato's website isn't helping.

Thanks!

What about Plato's Language Arts?

Time4Learning's American History gets good reviews. It's more interactive than the lower grade history courses. Glencoe's textbooks have lots of fun things on their website. There are some videos, games, and quizzes for each section. You can have him e-mail his quiz results to you. You might check out Homeschoolbuyer's Coop for ideas.

For high school, FLVS offers Conspiracy Code, which is a game based high school American history. I'm keeping an eye on that one for future use. I will probably stick with VP self-paced courses for middle school. I'm thrilled with what my son is learning and retaining now.

Edited by JenninMN

Plato history is not very interactive. The student gets a list of essays, timelines and other resources that they can read and then answer questions about. No moving pictures, little if any audio. We don't use the history or geography resources.

The language arts section is interactive (similar to the science) and we do use it. The reading and writing skills lessons are very long and my ADHD kid gets a little frustrated with their length. The English 7 lessons require some independent reading but also has audio. It is less visual than the science by nature of the subject matter. The biggest drawback for us for the English 7 course is that the student has to find the incorrect grammar in a sentence and replace it- my son has problems still with spelling (he has LDs) so he gets answers incorrect if I don't help.