Menu

Which Latin?

angelmama1209

I've read through some of the previous Latin threads, but haven't found the help I need, yet. DD1 is always asking WHY things are called what they are. I want to start her in Latin so we can know. She is 7yo. I'm thinking SSL for a gentle intro. She learns songs easily so I thought it would work. I've read about so many more I'd never heard of, though. Which curric would help with what I'm looking for?

Song School Latin is perfect for a 7yo! That one will give you both a basic familiarity with Latin that will make starting a stronger course easier. Classical Academic Press makes an online game, coloring pages and some cute videos to go with it, for free! Check out http://www.headventureland.com

When you finish SSL, Latin for Children, also from Classical Academic Press, is a great follow-up.

DD1 is always asking WHY things are called what they are. I want to start her in Latin so we can know.

You don't need to learn full-on Latin for this. Or rather, if you do start learning Latin, it will take you a few years before you can start figuring out the meaning of English words based on your Latin vocabulary. What you need to answer her questions now, is a study of Latin word roots. English For the Roots Up or Creative Teaching Press' Greek and Latin Roots (by Trisha Callela) will be good for a 7 yo.

ETA: I refer to www.etymonline.com to answer my dd's questions.

You don't need to learn full-on Latin for this. Or rather, if you do start learning Latin, it will take you a few years before you can start figuring out the meaning of English words based on your Latin vocabulary. What you need to answer her questions now, is a study of Latin word roots. English For the Roots Up or Creative Teaching Press' Greek and Latin Roots (by Trisha Callela) will be good for a 7 yo.

ETA: I refer to www.etymonline.com to answer my dd's questions.

This is helpful, thank you. :)

My kids are really enjoying Latin and learning a lot and teaching younger siblings.

We do both simultaneously. A lesson or two of I Speak Latin! and Getting Started with Latin a day.

My next drama is what to use after we are done which we will be soon. We have Latin For Children and maybe now they may get into it more. I have been looking into Lively Latin.