Menu

Reading Habits

My DS13 is bright, has no problems with comprehension, but simply has poor reading habits. This has become a power struggle between us and I wanted to get some advice.

So... for our lit selection I'll assign an appropriate number of chapters that I think should take him about 30-45 minutes to read. He'll come back in 10-15 minutes saying he's done and give me a poor narration (I'm not having him to written lit analysis while we're doing so much writing with WWS at this time). He'll understand the basic thread, but his narrations are lacking in detail and some of the details are just flat out wrong. Then we launch into an argument about my "standards" and so on...

I'm wondering if anyone else has dealt with this effectively: getting your child to slow down and read well. I was thinking about getting some reading comprehension guides to fill in questions. I've made up some of my own in the past, and that works pretty well. But really this is a reading habit issue and I just want him to SLOOOOWWWW down with it. He skims everything.

Very frustrating!

Thanks!

I have mine read aloud while sitting next to me on the sofa. I also read some parts as well, especially the instructions. My aim is to slowly and gradually put the responsibility onto him.

I also take my son on brisk 3km walk with me early each morning, which helps him concentrate better.