Menu

PA Homeschoolers, AP, probably dumb question

Not a dumb question! Their classes are "asynchronous," meaning they don't meet at a set time. So, no audio or "live" component. Some of the teachers (Mrs Walker for AP English Lang, for example) have some videos you can watch, but they're pre-recorded. I think Debra Bell, also for AP English, does offer a few "live" sessions, but these are the exception.

The teacher posts assignments on a website or on a "bulletin board"-type site. Some have discussion areas, like a Google group or something, but you read and post anytime. Sometimes the students are expected to check these boards every day. The advantage is that you can often work up to a week or two in advance or behind, with advance notice, if you're traveling or busy with other projects. My kids do prefer the "live" format of other schools such as Potter's, but this "asynchronous" format does have some advantages.

Details about course format are usually given in the course descriptions. For example, this is from Debra Bell's AP English Lit course description:

Communications: I provide recorded video lectures for core course content; in addition, we have a class website and forums where we discuss the texts and posts comments on each other’s work. Several times a month I host “optional†live discussions during office hours where students can ask me questions and I can review their work through screen sharing. These are also recorded and provided to all students. I am additionally available to students through g-chat and Skype, and I do one-on-one tutorials at student’s request.

Class Meeting Time: Students do not "meet" at a scheduled time, but all homework is due by Friday evenings, midnight your time zone. I update the website syllabus and send out weekly class updates via e-mail by Monday morning. Homework is not technically late if received before I update for the week.