Menu

Grammar for 8thgrade student with auditory processing problems (x-post)

I am asking for a friend who just pulled her 8th grade son from public school and is looking for help. Her son has an auditory processing disorder. He reads well, but has big problems with writing. He is not always able to form a complete sentence and can not tell whether something is a complete sentence or a fragment. According to her, he is good at math and sciences, so I think he may be a very analytical type with no "feeling" for language (which, in my layperson's opinion, might be related to his auditory issues.)

She is looking for help how to address his writing/grammar issues. From our conversations, I gather that she would need a resource that clearly spells out the rules and analyzes sentences, but does not rely on the student having any "feel" for language (if that makes sense). I am grateful for any suggestions (since my children have none of these struggles, my own experiences are of no help)

Thanks

I would use Hake for grammar and IEW for writing. I would not start at grade level. I'd probably start at level A for IEW and fifth grade for Hake. Dictation has really helped my child w auditory processing. I would try to fit in WWS at some point down the road.

Good luck to her,

Tori

I am asking for a friend who just pulled her 8th grade son from public school and is looking for help. Her son has an auditory processing disorder. He reads well, but has big problems with writing. He is not always able to form a complete sentence and can not tell whether something is a complete sentence or a fragment. According to her, he is good at math and sciences, so I think he may be a very analytical type with no "feeling" for language (which, in my layperson's opinion, might be related to his auditory issues.)

My ds was tested with auditory processing issues. He could not identify a sentence until he learned quite a bit of grammar. He just never "heard" where the period went. Once he could analyze a sentence (and this took 2-3 years of grammar), he could punctuate, edit, and generally write better. We use KISS grammar (free on line, and uses real sentences). But be warned, if your friend wants to use grammar to help his writing, just a little bit will not do the trick. It does take some a number of years to get into the complicated sentence structure that would be causing the fragments in 8th grade writing. I also agree with pp that IEW would be a good choice for a writing curriculum. Once again, not for a kid who "feels" language, more a box ticking kind of thing. Very good for my ds.

I gather that she would need a resource that clearly spells out the rules and analyzes sentences, but does not rely on the student having any "feel" for language (if that makes sense).
What you have written makes perfect sense - sounds just like my DS. Until ds could analyze the words and had memorized all the rules, his spelling was abysmal. We used SWR (spelling to write and read) which is the most analytical spelling program out there. It does take some time to understand (40 hours for me), but once you do, it is open and go.

Please tell your friend that her ds's problems can be overcome, but it will take a number of years of slow and steady progress.

Ruth in NZ

I would consider WWE3 and FLL3. The dictation and copywork will help create a mental 'library' of what a sentence should look and sound like. The narration will help him with organization. The gradual grammar, with chants and intro to diagramming, will def. teach him about how language works.