Menu

Trying to avoid overlap - WWS + R&S 7 or other grammar?

I really want to help my DDs focus on their writing skills next year (5th and 7th gr) so I've been researching various writing curriculum options including WWS or TCW, Bravewriter, IEW (no idea which one?), Apologia Jump In!, and Write Source 7. As you can see, I'm all over the map with it, so feel free to weigh in on a popular choice and help us narrow it down! :bigear:

The thing that's confusing me, is that because we used Easy Grammar this year (and loved it!), we added in our own creative writing component. If I switch up their grammar choice next year to something with a more comprehensive scope & sequence, won't it be overkill or at least overlap to include a separate writing class? I don't want them having to learn about outlines and essays in both language arts AND a separate writing lesson. It seems like every other language curriculum I'm looking at includes at least some writing component.

On the one hand, I don't want to "fix what isn't broken" because we all really did like Easy Grammar - on the other hand, I'm second-guessing myself that it isn't "enough" to do just that + a writing course and they must be "missing something". We're so new to this gig, I think my 2nd year shopping for curriculum nerves are kicking in! :confused:

I really want to help my DDs focus on their writing skills next year (5th and 7th gr) so I've been researching various writing curriculum options including WWS or TCW, Bravewriter, IEW (no idea which one?), Apologia Jump In!, and Write Source 7. As you can see, I'm all over the map with it, so feel free to weigh in on a popular choice and help us narrow it down! :bigear:

The thing that's confusing me, is that because we used Easy Grammar this year (and loved it!), we added in our own creative writing component. If I switch up their grammar choice next year to something with a more comprehensive scope & sequence, won't it be overkill or at least overlap to include a separate writing class? I don't want them having to learn about outlines and essays in both language arts AND a separate writing lesson. It seems like every other language curriculum I'm looking at includes at least some writing component.

:confused:

Okay, deep breath.:grouphug:

There are a lot of writing programs out there that work really well. I have used IEW to great success and I also really like the Write Source series. What I'd recommend depends on your child. My oldest ds was pencil allergic and really loves and craves the structure and checklists of IEW. When I bring out Write Source he begs for me to go back to IEW. But, that is just him. My daughter does well with both but, if I had to choose one resource for her, it would probably be Write Source.

I am not saying this to make it more complicated for you, but to illustrate that there is no one answer. Helpful, aren't I? Choose the one that resonates with you, that you will enjoy teaching, that you suspect will also appeal to you girls. Then, jump in.

It is not too much to do grammar and writing. You just skip the writing exercises. I wouldn't go from Easy Grammar to R&S 7, though. I would back up to 5 and do it with both of them. That doesn't mean you are "behind" at all. Many folks use Rod and Staff 7 and 8 in highschool

Thank you! :) I do need to breathe! LOL

I wondered about this:

I wouldn't go from Easy Grammar to R&S 7, though. I would back up to 5 and do it with both of them. That doesn't mean you are "behind" at all. Many folks use Rod and Staff 7 and 8 in highschool

The girls both did Abeka Language Arts at the school they attended previously. After a horrific year on Language B (5th gr for my eldest) I went with Easy Grammar to recover the basics she missed that year. How does Abeka Language translate to Rod and Staff? If someone was coming from 5th grade Abeka, would they not go to Rod and Staff 6? I guess I would need to review the concepts taught in there.

I'm not sure it's the right curriculum for her either - she isn't pencil allergic ;) but she is mildly phobic of a textbook that looks even remotely confusing or intense when it comes to grammar. The Rod and Staff samples I've seen look very dry and "textbooky" so I'm not sure what the best thing for her is yet . . . and I'm afraid to google. LOL

Edited by KellyMama

The girls both did Abeka Language Arts at the school they attended previously. After a horrific year on Language B (5th gr for my eldest) I went with Easy Grammar to recover the basics she missed that year. How does Abeka Language translate to Rod and Staff? If someone was coming from 5th grade Abeka, would they not go to Rod and Staff 6? I guess I would need to review the concepts taught in there.

I'm not sure it's the right curriculum for her either - she isn't pencil allergic ;) but she is mildely phobic of a textbook that looks even remotely confusing or intense when it comes to grammar. The Rod and Staff samples I've seen look very dry and "textbooky" so I'm not sure what the best thing for her is yet . . . and I'm afraid to google. LOL

Sorry, I really don't know enough to compare. I do start textbook grammar later than many. We talk about the parts of speech informally for a few year, I do Simply Grammar in fourth, then we did Growing With Grammar for 5 and 6 (mainly bc I needed my oldest to have an independent subject) and now we are switching to Rod and Staff to have some very rigorous grammar for a couple of years. But, I don't pretend to say this is the perfect path. In your situation, I would stick with something that is working well at least for another year. I wouldn't switch everything my second year. You can always switch in 8th grade. Lots of folks love Easy Grammar.(And, actually, if you have a grammar program your kids enjoy, wow! that's more than most can say.:001_smile:)