Menu

Latin road and IEW?

JadenCalebMom

This is exactly what I'm intending to do.

BRIDGE seems to be more about the spelling, according to it's scope and sequence.

It's not as complete a Lang. Arts as Phonics Road.

IEW is about the writing process, and we've had success with my older son starting on the Intensive level B.

By my reckoning, they should work okay together, but may up the hours of Lang. Art done in your homeschool, unless you alternate the days on which each are done.

So ... I'd love to hear what others say.

I recommend writing an email to phonics road. I asked the same question about PR and IEW and Barbara Beers wrote back herself and said that a separate writing program was NOT necessary. AND in talking to friend who is in PR3, she said that the writing completed through the Literature work was very similar to IEW, but not quite so formulaic. Both encouraged me that the writing was coming!! I don't know much about the Bridge though. As for me, I still feel like I might look at the teacher cds for IEW. Why? Just because I don't want to miss anything. UGH!

Right after I posted the above, I got the response. Here it is

We usually begin*The LATIN Road to English Grammar with students as young as 5th/6th grade, so your daughter is a bit young for the rigors of that study. But she is the perfect age for my intro to Latin called The BRIDGE to the Latin Road. In The BRIDGE I get the opportunity to prepare a student (and mom too) in 2 ways. First, I teach English grammar the way I want them to know it for later Latin translation work, from the simple parts of speech to complex sentence structures. Secondly, I teach the common Latin components that not only introduce them to the vocabulary they will later use for translations, but that also most affect our English spelling and meanings. We will analyze over 400 more difficult English spelling words in the context of those Latin components to strengthen spelling before we get to the rigors of high school equivalent Latin. And the notebook that she will produce in The BRIDGE study will become her English grammar handbook for the 3-year LATIN Road study.

Based on this, I will probably also use IEW.

Sounds like you should. I wonder if using PR 3 and PR4 will get me the good writing instruction I'm looking for. She wrote "your composition skills begin within the literature study in Level Two but are greatly expanded throughout Levels Three and Four. By the time they finish Level Four, you will be amazed how well they can write." Sounds like she thinks it will. I think I'll probably still look at the Teacher dvds and see what I get from it. Oh, more DVDS:)

You don't need to add any extra writing to PR 1-PR 4. When I have emailed Mrs. Beers in the past, she mentioned that others used IEW as a writing program to go along with the Latin Road. The Bridge would be much the same - there isn't as much or any explicit writing instruction in the upper levels (Bridge through Latin Road 3.)