Menu

Have you used Calvert?

justLisa

I just need an out of the box for next year. I've come to terms with it. I am telling myself just one year, and see how it goes. This year has burned me out and I've aged a hundred years.

I'll have 1st grader and 3rd grader. Though, they will ALMOST be ready for 2nd and 4th. I say this, because DS 7 is not writing as much as he would need, though I guess i could spend the rest of this year on that. DD SHOULD be reading at that level before the start of the year.

There is an option to opt out of the math, which is what I would do. I do love teaching math.

SO, if you have used this, at the end of the year are you satisfied? I need a secular curriculum, and I am finding I just cannot combine any studies. They are too different. Different learning styles/interests etc.

I schooled with Calvert for 3rd grade before I entered public school and then I skipped a grade upon entering, so in that I have some faith in it.

I hear ya! I dont have any experience with it but, I have been looking for a boxed curriculum for this upcoming year too because I feel like I jumped around too much this year. I am really interested in Calvert. However, I just can't afford it for 2 kids so I am considering going with a state virtual school near me that is offering it. I'm looking for someone to talk me out of it...or into it....

I just don't want to get stuck into something we all hate! But, I really like their interactive components with Brain Pop and the discovery videos and math game reinforcement.

We use Calvert! And we LOVE it! We decided to go with Calvert for the same reason you are considering it. I was burning out (and, honestly, not spending a whole lot less than Calvert costs because what I was buying and printing costs). I cannot combine my older two even though they are only 19 months apart for the same reasons you can't combine yours. I needed something open and go and already put together. Calvert has been a Godsend.

We actually used Calvert the first time in 2004 when my daughter was in kindergarten. We quit mostly because of cost. I wish we never had stopped. Over the years my daughter would say she wanted the "head school." I never figured it out until we went back to Calvert in 2010. She saw the logo (a child's head in profile) and said "It's the head school!" She has completed 7th grade and is halfway through 8th. My 10 year old son is about 1/4 of the way through 4th grade and has completed 2nd and 3rd grades. We have to adjust the writing and change the spelling for him (he's got dyslexia and dysgraphia). My 5 year old son is 3/4 of the way through 1st grade and 1/4 of the way through 2nd grade math (he does math 2 lessons a day because he's just a total natural with it). He has completed pre-k and kindergarten with Calvert. My 3 year old son is halfway through pre-k.

Really, Calvert has been so wonderful for our family. I can't recommend it highly enough. I'd do the placement tests for your kids to see where they place exactly with Calvert. It's free (download from their website) and doesn't commit you to use them so I'd go ahead and do them now.