Menu

s/o of pyrex thread: vintage federal glass storage dishes

After reading the exploding pyrex thread, I searched for other freezer and oven safe options. And I discovered Anchor Hocking is making a set very similar to the vintage Federal Glass sets I have. But I always thought the Federal ones were just for the refrigerator. Does anyone know if they are actually oven safe too? Or freezer safe? Or safe at all? (They're the glass boxes with ridged sides and embossed veggies or fruits on the lids.)

Hmm, I have newer glass boxes but there's no fruit/veg on the lid. They are ribbed glass and have an integrated handle. I use them in the oven. I have never used them from freezer to oven. I really like them.

Edited by AuntieM

Scary. I wonder why they think smaller pieces are better? Mine are old, so I wonder if they're made from the less breakable glass. And my google searches are not finding any info on whether the old ones are oven safe, or only for fridge storage.

I have the Pyrex ones with the glass tops. The "refrigerator glass" containers. As far as I know, they were designed to go from fridge to oven. Some pieces actually say "ovenware" on the bottom. Interestingly, the 2 1/2 cup ones don't, but the 1 1/2 pint ones, which are obviously from the same set, do.

Curious.