Menu

Please help me with my Saxon confusion

I want ds to take geometry and algebra II concurrently. Based on the Saxon website, Alg. II covers Geometry. But then I also see they have a Geometry course. It would seem a bit redundant to purchase Geometry and Alg. II separately. But, is there enough geometry in their Alg. II course?:confused:

Trying to solidify my plans. It's so confusing. Any advice?

The student will have the equivalent of a year of geometry if he goes clear through Adv Math. If he is going to do Adv Math, he does not need the separate geometry course. That said, some earlier geometry is a good thing before the PSAT.

I'm new to Saxon at the higher levels...

Algebra 1, Algebra 2 and Advanced Math = a year of Geometry??

Yes (plus the credit for Alg1, Alg2, and Precalc). Actually, I think I heard tell that you only had to go through the first half of Advanced Math to get the full geometry credit. (Does anyone remember the details of that?)

Any idea on how to write course descriptions for this?? How did you break it up on the transcript??

Looking closer at the website, I noticed that if I do Alg. II 3rd edition one year and Advanced Math the next, he would get basically 3 credits: 1 for Alg. 2, 1 for Geometry, and 1 for Pre-Calc. If I used their Alg. 2, 4th edition, it suggested that you use their new Geometry course because they rearranged the scope and sequence. :confused:

Do you think it all balances out no matter which I choose? 6 in one hand; half-dozen in the other.