Menu

Secular preschool resources

We enjoyed Where is Thumbkin? by Pam Schiller at that age. I see they now have a music cd to accompany. I wish I had had that. Here's a link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Thumbkin-Activities-Songs-Already/dp/0876591640/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b

Here's the Cd:

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Is-Thumbkin-Kimbo/dp/B00000DARY

Found another one. I LOVE Mathematical Reasoning by Critical Thinking Company. They have a book for 3 year olds, Mathematical Reasoning Beginning Level 1:

http://www.criticalthinking.com/getProductDetails.do?code=c&id=06913

Oh, and they have another resource for that age: Building Thinking Skills Beginning.

All their stuff is good.

Edited by perkybunch

I did not find Slow and Steady Get Me Ready all that practical. Almost everything seemed age-innapropriate in one way or another: either for a much younger kid, or a much older one. I was also not overly enthusiastic about Mudpies to Magnets.

Barnes and Noble has a ton of preschool books on their teaching shelves, and I found all my favorite preschool books there. There are daily and weekly curriculum guides which seem nice, but I never bought them because my kids went to a B&M preschool. I really liked Science is Simple for science, and Count on Math for math activities.

A general book that is absolutely fabulous is called The Survival Guide for the Preschool Teacher. Obviously, it's designed for a preschool setting, and some of it isn't applicable to a home setting... but I'd say that 95% of it absolutely is. There's actually so much info it can be hard to weed through it all! Ideas for centers, games, craft projects, cooking, activities... all simple and not requiring too much investment in obscure classroom supplies.

There are a TON of PDFs on that Scholastic Teacher's Express site... lots of people here post when they have their $1 sales, and you can't beat that price! I've bought a ton of those. I particularly like the month by month seasonal guides, and the thematic units. You can preview everything before you purchase it, so have her take a look and make a list and next time there's a great sale she should stock up.

If she's looking for internet sites, Starfall is really nice and it's totally worth it to buy the more.starfall membership. Poisson Rouge is not really an educational site, but very sweet and gentle and interesting for preschoolers.

We are doing Before Five in a Row. It has one bible verse per book covered, but super easy to ignore and it doesn't creep into the rest of the activities. I am alternating BFIAR with self-designed unit studies. Right now - weather. There is SO much out there if she's willing to Google. I'm also looking to add the pre-k handwriting without tears because my DD loves that kind of stuff.

Also Starfall. My daughter and her bff could not be more opposite in temperament or behavior, though they are both bright and love to learn and something about starfall - simple as it is - enchants them both. Well worth the $30 a year.

Edited by Sk8ermaiden