Menu

Great Books Academy/Angelicum

SunnyDays

I've been looking between these... are there any differences between the guides from these two sources? They look identical. It appears that Great Books Academy may not have some of them yet, though? I was thinking about ordering a few of these, going with the mix-and-match over the next few years plan!!

I've been looking between these... are there any differences between the guides from these two sources? They look identical. It appears that Great Books Academy may not have some of them yet, though? I was thinking about ordering a few of these, going with the mix-and-match over the next few years plan!!

I'm not sure if there are differences. This web site, incidentally, is what first inspired me to want to homeschool, after I discovered it as a senior in college. ;)

I have never ordered the guides from Great Books, all of mine came from Angelicum, but they look exactly the same as what I have. The guides are not that overtly Catholic, by the way. I am not Catholic and I have no problem using them. They are about the books, the background, the author and not really about religion.

So, bottom line, as far as I can tell, Great Books just sells the Angelicum Academy guides, which were written by Dr. Taylor who is a big part of the Great Books movement. I think, the more I look at the GB website that they are just different store fronts and probably come from the same place.

By the way, both will be combined into one Amazon bookstore shortly.

Edited by jcooperetc

Sara, that was part of what threw me... the price difference! Maybe it's just a better deal through one right now.

Thanks for all the thoughts, everyone. Yes, if justamouse wants to comment that would be great... I think it was her posts on one of the recent classical threads that made me aware of these guides in the first place!!