Menu

Zumdahl's Introductory Chemistry vs Chemistry -- levels?

I happen to have a copy of Introductory Chemistry: A Foundation (Zumdahl) here. I don't have a copy of the standard Zumdahl to compare, though looking at Amazon previews, it appears there's a significant level difference.

Can anyone tell me (or direct me to information) about the intended level of Introductory Chemistry? Is it a standard high school text? Is Chemistry a standard college level that's then used for AP?

Ds is currently doing Physics (Derek Owens, the course is based on Giancoli, I think) and doing well, but he hasn't had a previous chemistry course. He has a strong math background. I've only read a couple of chapters of Introductory Chemistry so far, but it seems like a fairly easy text. On the other hand, people talk about the standard text as being extremely challenging...

Thoughts comparing these two and what the levels might be?

Sarah, who writes the Quarks and Quirks blog, used Introductory Chemistry for a HS Chemistry program she designed for her elder son. She's mom4peace (I think) on the boards. Perhaps she might respond to a PM about her experience?

Here's a link to her program:

http://quarksandquirks.wordpress.com/chemistry-hs-level/

abbeyej, if I may ask, do you plan for your son to move on to Zumdahl after Derek Owens' Physics or do you plan to do it with Physics? Would love your suggestions on this.

abbeyej, if I may ask, do you plan for your son to move on to Zumdahl after Derek Owens' Physics or do you plan to do it with Physics? Would love your suggestions on this.

He's doing Honors Physics *this* year (almost done). I'm looking at Chemistry options for this coming fall.

I've bought the Thinkwell AP Chem program for the fall, but I'm trying to decide on a text to go with it (and, eventually, labs)...

I always thought Zumdahl' was for AP.:001_huh:

Well, there are multiple Zumdahl texts. I'm specifically wondering about comparing "Chemistry" (by Zumdahl and Zumdahl) with "Introductory Chemistry: a Foundation" (also by Zumdahl). ... Thus the confusion. :)

Well, there are multiple Zumdahl texts. I'm specifically wondering about comparing "Chemistry" (by Zumdahl and Zumdahl) with "Introductory Chemistry: a Foundation" (also by Zumdahl). ... Thus the confusion. :)

The bolded is what I used in AP chem in 2002 when I took it. Be sure to get the CD rom that goes with if you can - it REALLY helps.

He's doing Honors Physics *this* year (almost done). I'm looking at Chemistry options for this coming fall.

I've bought the Thinkwell AP Chem program for the fall, but I'm trying to decide on a text to go with it (and, eventually, labs)...

Thank you!

Sarah, who writes the Quarks and Quirks blog, used Introductory Chemistry for a HS Chemistry program she designed for her elder son. She's mom4peace (I think) on the boards. Perhaps she might respond to a PM about her experience?

Zumdahl Introductory Chemistry is find for standard high school use and appears to be used by colleges as well. It is NOT an AP text, nor would it be an intro text for majors. We did supplement with Chang when needed (my test questions came out of Zumdahl and Chang). The Foundation edition (which was the TE I had but not the text, unfortunately) includes a chapter on energy and one on organic chem. I had to supplement from Chang and online sources for the organics and other deeper elements of general chemistry.

Why Zumdahl then? It was visually appealing, and I was teaching two distractible 13 year old boys. We beefed it up a bit, and that worked well.