Menu

Outdoor Explorer/Adventure Pack Ideas....what would you put in?

We just had a spring break trip last week and went to Arches Nat'l Park & Canyonlands Nat'l Park. We borrowed an 'adventure pack' from one of the parks for 24 hours (you leave a deposit and borrow for however long you want). The backpack had 4 books (climate, animals, topography etc), colored pencils/eraser w/ journal & activity pages, binoculars & magnifying glass. It was fantastic- the kids loved it.

Since we are travelling w/ our camper to at least 3 more national parks this summer, I wanted to create something similar for my kiddos...and expand the idea.

-Small Binoculars

-2 way radios

-Small First Aid Kit

-Magnifying Glass

-Sketch book & pencils; glue, scissors & tape

-Small flash light

I'm still looking for:

living books (all purpose guides on birds, animals, insects etc),

(I will get library books specific to the area we are visiting- like Yellowstone, Mesa Verde & Mt Rushmore....)

regional info (Indian petroglyphs, south western climate/topography)

kid friendly atlas

a small digging/exploration set of tools,

specimen jars (for rocks, treasures etc),

basic constellation/astronomy guide,

Does anything come to mind for the above ideas? I'm looking around amazon but thought I'd check here, and also share the concept.

Thanks!

Some tracing paper and old crayons minus the paper for rubbings. If you are into bug collecting, a killing jar (we kept cotton balls with soaked in finger nail polish in a jar and added one to our collecting jar when a bug was caught). Tweezers and scissors are also great. A portable plant press is another cool thing to keep in a bag.

Some tracing paper and old crayons minus the paper for rubbings. If you are into bug collecting, a killing jar (we kept cotton balls with soaked in finger nail polish in a jar and added one to our collecting jar when a bug was caught). Tweezers and scissors are also great. A portable plant press is another cool thing to keep in a bag.

Thanks for the rubbings/tracing paper idea!

I'm looking for a field tool set and so far have only found this- pretty clunky but would be nice for my 4yo. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQBBW2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks for the rubbings/tracing paper idea!

I'm looking for a field tool set and so far have only found this- pretty clunky but would be nice for my 4yo. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AQBBW2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The chunky set reminded me...add a make-up brush (large one for blush) to use as a duster for looking into rocks or crevices, even dusting sand/dried mud off things embedded in ground.