Menu

anyone built a solar cooker?

Now that spring is here and summer is knocking at our door, I would like to try to build a solar cooker with my son. I am wanting something fairly simple in construction, but wood instead of cardboard so it can withstand some actual use. I googled solar cookers, and the response was overwhelming. If someone here could point me in the right direction, I would much appreciate it. I would be interested in instructions, recipies/cooking directions, and your thoughts about your solar cooking experience.

Thanks!

I built one after the hurricane that left us powerless for a week. I made chocolate chip pan cookies, meatloaf and beer bread.

Mine was out of cardboard, but you could probably do the same things easily out of wood and just attach hinges at the bending points. The tin foil is what gets beat up and needs replacing. Mine worked by placing your pots into a turkey roasting bag. The air in the bag heats up like the oven. And they DO get hot! I burnt my hand on the cast iron handle.

I actually have a solar oven cook book that tell how to make both this kind and the box kind. The box kind are nice because they are more sturdy than my (the open winged kind), but you have to put them out to heat up box for awhile before hand. We had a really mild summer and during out power outage we were only hitting into mid 70's even though it was August. I figured the winged style would work better as it got hot faster and I could turn it with the sun to keep it hot. When we move to Texas this summer I want to make a box one.

I'll find my cook book and post the title in a bit.