Menu

CLE to Saxon Transition ?

My son will be transitioning to Saxon next year after completing CLE 600s and most likely 702-705. As well as completing Math Mammoth 6. He will be in 7th grade next year.

He is a strong math student and I am struggling to determine whether he should go into Algebra 1/2 or Algebra 1. He took the placement test and placed into Alg. 1. But I am not sure it makes sense to do Alg. 1 in 7th grade. However, I am afraid he will have too much review with Alg. 1/2 and then a great deal of review again in Alg. 1 the next year.

Anyone who has had a similar experience, or knows the Saxon levels well, I would love your thoughts.

I'm not that familiar with CLE - is CLE600s equivalent to a pre-algebra course? If so, then he should be fine. If not, I would suggest Alegbra 1/2 or Saxon 87 for next year.

But if he really is that strong of a math student that 7th grade Algebra seems reasonable for his abilities, you might look at Art of Problem Solving too. We switched from Saxon after finishing Algebra 1/2 and Art of Problem Solving Pre-Algebra has been both interesting and challenging, despite the fact that she had already completed a pre-algebra course.